truck and trailer

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

thinking about getting a new truck and trailer.
we are down sizing from what we used to have. how big of a trailer do you think i need for about 5 calves and 2 grooming chute, a hanging show box. a double stack show box, and fans.

pigguy

and hwat does every one think about the 2002-2005 chevy 3500 or 2500 with a duramax allison. new to chevy been a ford guy way to long. what is the biggest desiel engine you can get in the chevy 3500 or 2500

DLD

That all depends on how you pack... Put your chutes on the side of the trailer, your boxes in the back of the pickup, the rest of your tack in the pickup and the nose of the trailer, and you can get by with a 16' - but it'd be tight. If you want to set your chutes and boxes and stall dividers and all on the floor of the trailer, you prob'ly really want a 24' with
2 center gates - use 8' for tack and 16' for cattle. The trailer we pull to shows is a 6'8" x 20' Circle D, and I can haul everything you mentioned and then some comfortably (without hanging anything off the sides), you've just got to plan out where everything fits. I'm very seriously contemplating trading up to a 24' though - the extra space would sure be nice.

GM only offered one diesel engine in the 2500 - 3500 series in those years (or any year for that matter). The 08's may have a different size engine, as all of the big 3 had to completely retool their diesels to meet emissions standards.

pigguy

DLD said:
That all depends on how you pack... Put your chutes on the side of the trailer, your boxes in the back of the pickup, the rest of your tack in the pickup and the nose of the trailer, and you can get by with a 16' - but it'd be tight. If you want to set your chutes and boxes and stall dividers and all on the floor of the trailer, you prob'ly really want a 24' with
2 center gates - use 8' for tack and 16' for cattle. The trailer we pull to shows is a 6'8" x 20' Circle D, and I can haul everything you mentioned and then some comfortably (without hanging anything off the sides), you've just got to plan out where everything fits. I'm very seriously contemplating trading up to a 24' though - the extra space would sure be nice.

there is the problem. i am wanting to get a barrnet and they dont have the step on the side like most have. i want everything in the trailer becasue my bed usually has ice chests in it. and i couldnt even begin to pick up a show box out of it. i woudldnt mind putting the chutes on the side though.. maybe i could have 16' for cattle and a 8 foot section for the showboxes and the pigs

DL

pigguy - do you mean Barrett?  unless I misunderstood you the Barretts have steps all the way on both sides - plus you can custom  them in any way you want - I have a 7x 20 with a center gate and a slider that goes from up against the front to anywhere in between there and the center - it has both a slide 2 foot and a regular type open door. Also had tie outs put on the outside - I really like my trailer....I pull it with a F250 stick (gas) which is ok most of the time (we are pretty flat) but had a little trouble with the hills down south - next farm truck will probably be my current F350 diesel -

pigguy

dragon lady said:
pigguy - do you mean Barrett?  unless I misunderstood you the Barretts have steps all the way on both sides - plus you can custom  them in any way you want - I have a 7x 20 with a center gate and a slider that goes from up against the front to anywhere in between there and the center - it has both a slide 2 foot and a regular type open door. Also had tie outs put on the outside - I really like my trailer....I pull it with a F250 stick (gas) which is ok most of the time (we are pretty flat) but had a little trouble with the hills down south - next farm truck will probably be my current F350 diesel -
yes that is what i meant. all the ones i have looked at only have like 4inch step on the side. how do they mak eit so that you can slide the gates all around??

DLD

If you want to put chutes, stall dividers, whatever on the side of the trailer, you really need to have the racks and brackets designed especially to hold 'em anyhow. I've seen an aluminum chute sitting on a 2" step bar/tie rail spaced out about 2" from the side of the trailer and tied on with a pair of 2" ratchet straps work loose and fall off, so I'm pretty big on brackets that support the whole thing with nuts and bolts to hold stuff on if you have to put it on the side. Personally, I'd rather put it inside anyway.

Those adjustable center gates like DL described are really great for allowing you just enough room for your tack. An 8' x 20' with an adjustable center gate might work as well as a 6'8" x 24' with two solid gates.

afhm

I'd go with atleast a 24'x8' with a moveable gate and a side ramp for the cattle.  Getting the ramp makes it easier because you can load you tack in the back and leave it there at home.  The back gate will be lower to the ground than a side gate making it easier to carry things into the trailer.  Plus the cattle will get a smoother ride in the front of the trailer.  Depending on how long your chutes are, you could get all your tack in a 8'-9' area leaving you 15-16' for your calves which would get a little tight the biggerthey get.  A 28'-32' would be better for that many calves when they get bigger.  The more efficient you are at packing the smaller trailer you can get by with.  The biggest mistake I made was not getting an 8' wide, sometimes I wish I had a 102" wide.  The extra width makes all the difference in the world when loading tack and cattle comfort, and the cattle won't to stand at as much of an angle so they won't take up as much space.

Gypsy

We've been using a Barrett that we bought used  about 7 years ago.  It has been great.  It is a little longer than DL's but it has the inside sliding  gate, really works great and has held up well.  We pull it with either a F250 diesel or F350 diesel, both work fine.    

pigguy

are there any other trailer companys that make the sliding gates like Barrett
i am thinking a 24 footer with 2 divider gates. so i can have 16 foot for cattle and 8 foot for the shoxes and the pigs. and then hang the grooming chutes and everything on the sides. does Barrett come with the fold down ramp for the side door

shortyjock89

We just upgraded trailer's too and we really like our's.  We got a 98 Eby  7.5 x 22 alum. and it is sweet.  We pull it with my dad's F 350 diesel, or even with my 2500 gas just fine.  I would definately suggest a diesel though.  The duramax aren't bad but a 7.3L powerstroke is what I like best.

afhm

You can get any option you want with a Barrett.  The ramps normally don't go allthe way to the roof, but I think you can specially order them that will.  Make sure you get atleast the 42"ramp a full 4' one is better.  I have a Barrett and the biggest problem I have with it is the cut gates are too close to the floor.  There is not enough room to put mats and shavings in it, or real deep shavings alone in it and still have the gates swing freely.  Barrett's moveable gates are the best, they swing open wide and have a slider in them.