Truck Question-New

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

the 03 and 04's are the 6.0 with all the problems, I wouldn't do it unless it is real cheap. We traded our 03 6.0 off for a 05 dodge two years ago and havent looked back once, we had the 03 in the shop at least once a month getting new injectors or something else

Davis Shorthorns

DONT DO IT!!!!  Those trucks had ALOT of problems.  I was working for a ford dealer when those trucks first came out and we didn't have one that didn't come back in for catastrophic problems.  Injectors, turbos, and the new auto trans. that year were the big ones.

boomer

I have a 97 ford 7.3L and hubby has 02  7.3L. I did have a lot of trouble with my  tranny going out in my 97. It would go out every summer and ford would replace it every year. Finally got sick of that and got a custom built tranny 3 years ago... love it!  I wouldnt trade my truck for anything right now. My hubby just put in a veggie stroke in his truck( runs on waste vegtable oil). If you really want to know details about fords like common problems, etc  get on the powerstroke web site  www.powerstoke.org ......  we have learned alot and made a bunch of new friends on there. Hope this helps....

DLD

My '05 6.0 turned 80K today pulling a 24'x6'8" steel stock trailer, loaded up, like it usually does. It's never missed a lick, and I'm very happy with it. The '03 6.0's were the most problematic, and they got progessively better through the years. Chances are very good that if it has not been modified (chips, tuners, cold air intakes, etc...) or abused and has been well maintained that it's fine.

There's an easy way to find out, though - get the vin number of the truck you're considering and go register at  www.ford-trucks.com/  , then go to the 6.0 liter section of the diesel forum and find the Oasis request thread, post the vin there, and one of the members will get you a copy of any work that's been done on it in any Ford garage anywhere. They'll also help you interpert the results - it's actually good if certain things have been already resolved on certain model trucks, but for the most part, the fewer results the Oasis reveals, the better. Lot's of other good info there as well. I'm sure powerstroke.org has much of the same good info, and may be able to get you an oasis, too. In any case, these sites are worth a look.

Good luck.

Steer Boy 101

Are the later model diesels any better on ford i know i have herd the 08 with dual turbo suck but what do you guys know abou them my dad is also looking for a new gas or a used diesel just curious what ford is up to with hteres

jbh

I have driven ford dually's since 99 and all diesels but the v10 that blue up on me years ago.  I had never had any trouble with the 04, 05, and 06 diesels I had, BUT my 07 King Ranch has been a complete lemon.  Blew injectors at 2000 miles, then 2500 miles, sensors at 7500 miles and 12,000 miles, then the same injectors blew at 22,000 miles leaving me stranded in Ohio for five days in January of this year.  It's now got 33,000 miles and I went to trade last week and they offered me $18,000 trade in value for it (they didn't even have any idea it was a lemon).....It listed at $55,000 when I bought it.....needless to say I couldn't trade because that's SEVERAL thousand dollars less than I still owe on it.

However, if you're looking to buy a new pickup without a trade-in, this might be the best time ever in the history of buying diesel pickups.  A buddy of mine just bought a new megacab Dodge shortbox diesel and got $14,000 in rebates alone.  I know Chevy has 0% financing for 60 and 72 months also right now.

I also looked at the Toyota Tundra, and if I was going gas......that's what I'd buy in a heartbeat.

OH Breeder

Steer Boy 101 said:
If you want to do some research you can go to Edmunds.com and look at reviews on cars. Also can search consumer reports on vehicles. You can check car fax with the vin and see if it has had any major damage etc.