Twins

Help Support Steer Planet:

steermaker

We have a cow that calved on Saturday, nice bull calf.  The cow did not clean right away but my vet said to be patient.  On Wednesday evening I checked the cow and she had cleaned and I had already seen her bull calf so everything seemed to be normal.  Last night we noticed something unusual in the pasture.  Upon further investigation we found another calf with the cow.  The only cow we have left to calve hadn't yet so the only thing that we can think of is that the cow had twins, but not on the same day.  Is this possible?  Can a cow have twin calves four days apart?  BTW the second calf was a heifer, so she is likely a freemartin. 

ratmama2

We had the same problem...cow didn't cleanse, vet said to wait and see. Twelve days later had another one. Claimed it but would not let it nurse. Luckily it was two bull calves. We ended up bottle feeding the second twin and he turned into a really nice 4-H steer. It happens. Blessed are the brood cows and Mother Nature. They can always throw us for a loop.

HAB

If the cow calved that many days apart, the calves would have been in separate placentas.  The heifer should be fine, but you can get her checked when she is older.

Show Heifer

Different placentas (after birth), different fluid (none shared in common with calves), therefore, heifer should be a breeder!
It rarely happens, and no one can really explain how or why, but it does happen! 
Congrats on two live calves!