Twins

Help Support Steer Planet:

common sense

I have heard everyone around here talking about the large number of herds that are having so many sets of twins.  We have had two sets already out of about 25 cows.  Rare for us.  I was just curious if anyone else was having the same experience.

shortyisqueen

We had three sets this year out of a herd of 80 cows. Three to four sets seems to be a normal course of events for us the last couple years. The cows were all bred normally and not heat-synched.

I think its probably a side effect of breeding fertility into your cow herd. Two of our sets this year were off of full sisters and other years we have had mothers and daughters give us twins. I prefer one calf, but this year we got lucky - One of our twin sets are our best two heifer calves of this years crop and we will be showing them both. Poor mamma though - she is raising them both. They were born in mid-January and she is probably nursing over 550 lbs already.

I had six sets last year and I think 4 sets the year before that.  I thought it might be the bull we were using but we changed bulls and here we go again more twins this year.  We are seeing this in our com. cows and my purebreed cows. 

fluffer

Twins (fraternal) are genetic off the momma's side.  So if you have a cow that has twins then her daughters may also have twins and so on.  Although they say the heritability of this trait is low, the cow line I have with the twinning genetics seems pretty prevalent.  The frustrating part about it though is that you just never know.  My old cow had twins her 1st and 3rd calving, but none since (she is a '97) Her mom and full sister also have twins, then last year one of her granddaughters had twins.  I also had a random ET cow have twins last year.  Now they could have twins again, or never again.  We always watch those girls a little closer due to the abnormal presentation usually found in twinning.
Now identical twins is NOT genetic.  It is just one of those weird things that happens for now apparent reason.

Fluffer

red

the farm just lost a set of twins. Starting off a rough year. Had a cow loose her calf & then prolapse & then I just checked the farm cows/calves & they had a dead calf that was about a day old. Looked kicked or stepped on.

Red

knabe

i've posted this link before

http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/research/twin/index.html

some pretty amazing rates from the sire side.  no news letter since 2003, though i've contacted him a couple of times (Dr. Brian Kirkpatrick)

USDA ID#928507, 26.8 twinning rate EBV (USDA), polled.
Owner: Dave Serfling.
Contact Dave Serfling at 507-765-2797.

USDA ID#888521, 47.9 twinning rate EBV (USDA),
Owner: Daren Cyphers.
Contact ABS Global Inc, 1 - 800 - ABS - STUD.

USDA ID#949673, 42.8 twinning rate EBV (USDA).
Owner: Daren Cyphers.
Contact Hoffman A.I. Breeders, 801 - 753 - 7883.

USDA ID #918521, 50.7 twinning rate EBV (USDA),
Owner: Sean Smith.
Contact Sean Smith, 1211 240th Avenue, Thurman, IA 51654. 712-628-3005.

USDA ID#969549, 55.9 twinning rate EBV (USDA).
Owner: Dave Serfling.
Contact Dave Serfling at 507-765-2797.

USDA ID#998628, 64.0 twinning rate EBV (USDA), progeny test not completed
Owner: ProlifiCow Inc.
Contact Brian Kirkpatrick, 5615 Longford Terrace, Madison, WI 53711, 608-271-6904.

USDA ID#969381, 67.3 twinning rate EBV (USDA),
Owner: ProlifiCow Inc.
Contact Brian Kirkpatrick, 5615 Longford Terrace, Madison, WI 53711, 608-271-6904.

Latest posts