Twins

Help Support Steer Planet:

Buck

I had a 13 year old Heatseeker cow to calve this week. We bred her to Steam Roller and she had twins! Although, she is a great old cow and has produced some really nice calves over the years. Much like most Heatseekers she has never been a real good milker. I got her and the calves up and I am feeding her to help her along a little. I was blessed that both calves are heifers and they are healthy. One is silver and the other is a smoke and are really pretty babies. When I was about to leave yesterday evening I looked back and the old cow looked up as if to say " At my age, can you believe this?" I just wanted to share this with everyone this morning. I will post pictures soon.

Buck

Pic

Attachments

• 2014-09-25_16-41-25_756_McCalla.jpg
    2014-09-25_16-41-25_756_McCalla.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 278

GoWyo

Looks like a nice bonus.  Do you have a nurse cow or access to reasonably priced goat milk?

Buck

My old cow with twins is not doing so good! I went to feed her last night and she didn't get up to eat (highly unusual for her). I made her get up and it took some effort and she seemed to be stiff. I checked her this morning and she was lying down and I had to make her get up. She had eaten a little of her feed and where she was laying there was a pretty good puddle of mucous/ pus behind her. I am sure she would benefit from a shot of Banamine. What about antibiotics or anything else?

GoWyo

She didn't clean out after calving?  Sounds like time to call the vet.

Buck

You are correct, she had a retained placenta. I consulted my vet and also read on-line information that said to do nothing but observation. If she developed an infection to administer antibiotics. She shed the placenta at 8 days after she calved and all seemed to be well till last night. I finally talked to my vet today and he prescribed 60cc Oxytet, 12cc  Banamine and 5cc Lutalyse to stimulate contractions and to help the uterus "squeeze" out all it could.