Two of our show calves !

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

I have done well with the type heifers I like and I've got my hat handed to me as well; but, I will always lean toward the " breed standard " type. I saw our heifer when she was less than a month old, 4 months old, then brought her to GA when she was 7 months old and she's looked like my type the whole time. I've thought since early on that she could hold her own against the clubbys or the "breed standard" type though I think she would be a little better fit for the Open Shows.
    First let me say that I have absolutely no problem with showgirl2010's opinion of our calves. I asked for comments and that is what I wanted. I think our steer is in the middle ground betwwen the " meat machines " and the " smooth made " type calves. There again I tend to lean toward the steers that are what I call "deceivingly thick", " smooth made" and move like kittens. More muscle does not always mean better to me. I want a steer to carry the right amount of muscle to match his frame and skeletal make-up. I'm sure there are many steers out there that are a lot thicker than ours but there are far less steers that are as balanced as he is.

Doc

Hey Shortdawg, I think your calves look good. I really like the looks of your hfr. I hope you get to come up to Nashville for the state fair , I look forward to seeing them in person. I appreciate you & everyone else for sharing the pictures that they do & opening themselves up for all the comments.

SKF

EONF said:
Shortdawg: The steer looks great. You guys are showing him purebred right?

SKF: Again great steer. Is he going to be in purebred also?

Hopefully there will be enough appendix steers for mine to be in that breed category but I don’t think there was one last year. By the way, is anybody bringing any appendix heifers? 

Yes he will be shown in the purebred class. Are you showing in Perry? We are also taking a heifer she will be shown commercial. I think last year the Appendix Shorthorn steers were shown in all other breeds if I remember correctly.

TJ

shortdawg said:
I finally got these pics done. Both were taken back in April and are not of the highest quality since I had to scan them in. The first two are our Radio Active heifer and the other is our JPJ steer. We will also show a Jan. SH heifer out of a Trump son and a March  ET heifer born on our farm sired by Bloodstone out of the CF Lucky Charm 255 cow. Any comments appreciated .

I like that steer.  He looks like a steer, is well balanced, & looks to have plenty of depth & thickness.  That heifer looks a lot like several of the heifers that we used to show, so obviously, I like her too.  At 1st glance, I liked the heifer better, but the more I look, I like the steer better.  Neither are probably the elite of the elite, but both are awfully good & should do very well at the show.  I like them.

shortdawg

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate them.

TJ, I sure can't afford the elite of the elite on a poor old dirt farmer's pay !!!! ;D (dog)

TJ

Sounds like we are in the same boat.  ;)  Yet, it looks like you have some awfully good genetics!!  I've been impressed with all your cattle, not just these 2... you have some good ones. 

shortdawg

Thanks, maybe I've got you fooled since you've only seen the good ones.  ;) I'm just like most, some front pasture and some that need to stay on the back forty. The little Jan. heifer that I mention we were going to show is a half sib to the one I sent you pics of, I think she is going to be pretty good.