Two-Stage Weaning

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

ssr said:
have used this program for 3 years the weaners need taken out by one week as they wear holes in the nose very little bawling always a few that find a way to suck or lose the weaners
I found the same thing with holes in nose... took them in a week's time.

redcows

I have used the Quiet Wean tags for the last 5 years. I wouldn't wean a calf without them. I have had one calf that figured out how to nurse after a week, but just one. Occasionally, one will lose one and I have to put in a second one and my current herd bull lost two when he was weaned. Really helps to soak them in a bucket of hot water before inserting them. They are much more pliable warmed up. If you remove them one day and separate the calf and cow, bawling on both ends is all over by noon the next day and it is pretty mild fussing at best compared to weaning without the tags.

Doc

Just put in my 1st quietwean the other day. I will be taking it out on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how it works. She was funny after I let her out of the chute. She walked around with her head up for awhile. We've got several calves we will be using it on.

Attachments

• 2013-06-05 16.38.53.jpg
    2013-06-05 16.38.53.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 277

Warrior10

Doc said:
Just put in my 1st quietwean the other day. I will be taking it out on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how it works. She was funny after I let her out of the chute. She walked around with her head up for awhile. We've got several calves we will be using it on.
Let us know how it goes!

Ballgame23

We have used these for a number of years and love them... calves do great, never miss a beat. Did a test one year doing half with and half without and the ones with Quite Weans easily out preformed those without. WORTH EVERY CENT

kjd farms

Just finished our second year of weaning with the quiet wean product.  Weaned 23 calves and had next to no problems with pacing or bawling calves/cows.  No calves or cows tried to break fences or jump gates.  Cows are in the pasture just about 100 feet from the barn where the calves are now.  Calves ranged in age from 6-10 months of age.  We left the quiet weans in for 6 days. 

2 calves lost them on the 6th day, but they were weaned by then and it didn't bother them.

We soaked the quiet weans in hot water prior to putting them in and it made it easier to apply them.

jason

Duncan Livestock said:
Just finished our second year of weaning with the quiet wean product.  Weaned 23 calves and had next to no problems with pacing or bawling calves/cows.  No calves or cows tried to break fences or jump gates.  Cows are in the pasture just about 100 feet from the barn where the calves are now.  Calves ranged in age from 6-10 months of age.  We left the quiet weans in for 6 days. 

2 calves lost them on the 6th day, but they were weaned by then and it didn't bother them.

We soaked the quiet weans in hot water prior to putting them in and it made it easier to apply them.

Thanks for the update, looks like it lives up to the hype.