Two Tone steer (updated pics)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

What do you all think of my daughter's Two Tone Steer?  He is a May calf out of a SH/Red Angus cow.  Fair is not until Labor Day.  This is the steer that has been giving us so many problems while breaking despite throwing every trick in the book at him.  Doing better each day.  Is giving to pressure, and will lead some.  Will kick you any chance he has and will not let you near his right side.  We have lots of time, and I think he is too good to give up on. 
th_20131215_122420_zpsa02e6744.jpg

Davidsonranch

Wow, seriously not even one comment?  This is our first really "clubby" bred calf to try at fair and locals keep saying he is good.  I wanted other opinions who know a hell of a lot more than me.

grandchamp58

i cant really see much from the picture cause its so small. Could you try enlarging it? Thanks

Gargan

Looks to have plenty of thickness, bone, hair, and be pretty enough. Would maybe like to see him lil deeper flanked , maybe a touch more rib , and be a little leveler topped. Appears to run downhill a bit. The rib and flank could get better if he's just starting on feed. Overall a good solid calf if he straightens out his attitude. Congrats on raising him.

Davidsonranch

Sorry everyone.  Did  not realize it came up so small when I uploaded to photobucket from my smart phone.  I cant seem to get it any bigger.  Will be posting lots of pictures in months to come.  Thanks for the comments.

Davidsonranch

Finally I think I got some bigger pics to take.  I'm telling you this steer is wearing us out.  Work with him for hours and the next day it's like we started all over again.  We have until Mid April to figure out if we are going to use him for fair or not.  Unfortunately he now has my little girl pretty scared.
IMG_0674_zps5feb6389.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsc0835c77.jpg

20131215_122420_zpsa02e6744.jpg

Barry Farms

IF you don't make improvements soon try dragging him with a tractor. I would suggest that you put a cheaper piece of equipment behind your tractor that way if he gets wild he will not destroy the rear end of your tractor. Also if someone is holding another rope attached to the steer he will think the person is pulling not just the tractor.

Also use a halter with a metal ring for a loop so that it does not get overly tight and become impossible to remove; had a steer this summer try to pull against the tractor and stuck his tongue out to breathe then bull and darn near bit his tongue off. He got away and had it stuck like that for a few hours until he loosened it. Took a few days to have him calm down after that. Never ended up showing him either.

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

to be brutally honest he looks a little straight in his front 1/3 and a little broken in his top, BUT if you feed and maintain him right and with the right guy clipping him he could do a lot of good at more than a county fair if he moves well enough. good luck with him!

Davidsonranch

So if you get ahold of this steer he will actually lead "fairly" well.  Its just getting around him.  Can brush and touch him all over on his left side, but you can't even get close to his right side.  If tied up he will flop over on his back, kick, lower his head and butt if you get close to right side. Eyes get wild, snot and slobber, breaths hard and shakes like he is scared to death.  We do what we can with the left and then use a shop broom on his right side just trying to continue showing him it feels just as good to be brushed on right side as it does left. 
This calf has only been on feed for less than a month and it has been pretty marginal.  We are just now starting to pour the feed to him.  Thanks for all of the help everyone. 

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Put in and alley so you can work with him on both sides ,also if I had this problem I would give him  "calf tamer " or something like it the first few times I work with them ...When you buy clubby's  lately some sires are getting a bad reputation for their disposition ....They deserve it too.... Some horse logic from Ray Hunt might help you
also !!!!!