Types of Feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

WIshowgirl

Hi,
Wondering what you guys feed your calves. Right now we are feeding a half corn and half 32% sweet feed to our baby calves and a 100% corn diet with some Calf-Manna thrown in. What products do you use to grow hair? I know someone mentioned Shag, how about Epic (supplement from Sun-glo feeds)? Also Gleam & Shine or Showbloom?
<party>

showsteer11

we used  epic this past year plus rinsing and about 3 hrs of hair work every day and we got absoultly no result i realize most of it was the calf and genetics but it didnt do us any good

sue

We use Purina Grand T fortifier. Any mill that sells Purina usually has this mix- there are about 14 different rations to choose from and it is much cheaper then bagged feed.
Our steer customers use the ration with cotton hull and it's about 17 cents/lb deivered?? They emailed Purina for a ration? 

The Show

If your looking for a cheap way to grow hair give your calf some melatonin pills. You get them at walmart. They're a sleeping aid so it'll also calm your calf down. Feed 5 in the morning and 5 in the evening.

WIshowgirl

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will email Purina and ask about their different feeds for steers and see which one has cotton hulls in it.
The Show: How many days do you normally feed your calves the pills before the fair?
Thanks again (dog)

The Show

I'd say two to three months, but you can feed it year round. Grow&shine or shine&grow or whatever it's called is basically a melatonin concentrate. It is kinda hit or miss though. It might work great and it might not work at all, but it's only like $4-5 a month to feed. The first time you feed it you'll notice your calf being pretty sluggish and lazy. That's bc it's an all natural sleeping pill for people so it calms them down quite a bit, but after a week or so they kind of adjust to it and their fine. You'll notice them a little calmer in general as long as your feeding it though. 

linnettejane

Garett said:
linnettejane said:
we feed purina show chow fitter's edge and love it

LinnetteJane what is the price per bag on the fitters edge?

$11.15/50lb bag...kinda steep...we start out mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with a cheaper 12% calf feed we use...

The Show

I quit feeding fitters edge probably a year ago when I was able to get Martindale feed and I think it was $13 then.