typical stupid Red question

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

As I was pulling a couple of warts off a heifer (no, not my show heifer), I wondered if they could be transmitted to me? I know that I've gotten ringworm from my calves. When I was younger I got pinkeye from a 4-H project. My hair isn't falling out,so I don't think I've got mange. I'm sure I've picked up some little E Coli bugs over the years. What other diseases or conditions can we pick up from our cattle?
I seem to remember a vet student who ate her lunch in the barn getting sick too! ::) Not trying to make this sound like an alarm topic but I was just curiuos. My immune system is not always the best & my hubby has no spleen so we both can be at risk. What do we need to watch out for?
Like I said, maybe a stupid "Red" question?

Red :)))

cowz

Good topic, Red, and not at all a stupid question.  Actually it is quite thought provoking.  Cattle lice, for example, are not the same type of lice that become 'head lice" or crab lice in humans.  E.Coli 0157:H7 that is a real hot topic, especially in the beef industry, has always been a favorite topic of mine.  There is absolutely no research I can quote on this, BUT, have you ever noticed that you NEVER hear of a ranch person becoming ill with E. Coli 0157:H7.?  Cattle intestines usually have many E. Coli colonies in them, especially the 0157:H7.  Im sure all of our corrals and working chutes are covered in them.  Remember that apple you ate while you were out pushing cattle down the alley, twisting tails and wiping off the green stuff? 

I firmly believe that agriculture people have great immune systems, that have adapted themselves to deal with each person's individual environment.  But, you are right, people with immunosuppressive issues or on chemo, the very young and the very old should really try to becareful.  Remember that washing hands is a good idea and that sunshine (UV light) is our friend.

If you are really bored, do a google search on the "hygiene hypothesis".  This is a study comparing city kids to country kids that basically tries to prove that farm kids exposed to dirt, manure and all kinds of animals (and their hair dander) are across the board healthier and have less asthsma than their city counterparts.  Oh, Boy have I gone off on a tangent....again. 

DL

red -

cattle wart virus - dosn't like people
cattle ringworm - likes cattle better but will live on people
cattle GI bugs - Salmonella, E coli, crypto - people can get
(vet student eating lunch in stall with scouring calf got crypto)

later

cowz - much more thought provoking than my answer but gotta go! (dog) (dog) (dog) (see DL run!)

cowz

DL, Thanks for the reminder on Salmonella and Crypto...those 2 along with Giardia are very unforgiving in humans.

Speaking of Salmonella, check your cupboards for either Peter Pan or Great Value (Walmart brand) Peanut Butter with a lot # of 2111.  It may be contaminated with Salmonella and cannot be eaten.  All other brands are just fine.

red

Another thing, this is for you grain farmers. Don't test wheat for moisture by chewing on it. My hubby, for years always checked the mositure of wheat by chewing on a few berries. One year when we had extremely moldy wheat he got Salmonella. It went into reactionary arthritis. He ended up spending over 3 weeks in the hospital. Was put on high powered IV antibotics even when he came home. We had to inject them into him via a port in his chest. Not fun at all!!!!
Red

cowz

red said:
Another thing, this is for you grain farmers. Don't test wheat for moisture by chewing on it. My hubby, for years always checked the mositure of wheat by chewing on a few berries. One year when we had extremely moldy wheat he got Salmonella. It went into reactionary arthritis. He ended up spending over 3 weeks in the hospital. Was put on high powered IV antibotics even when he came home. We had to inject them into him via a port in his chest. Not fun at all!!!!
Red

Wow, I had no idea!!!  My father always chewed on wheat or oat kernels to "check it out".  Good info.

showcattlegal

I have got pink eye from my steer one year, and ring worm more from my lambs then my cattle. I know it's not mange, but people can get a rash from cattle that itchs really really bad. I can't remember the name of the though. My freinds mom got it one winter.

Lacey