Tyson

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

I ran across a bull that looked interesting to me.  His name is Tyson and he was born in 2005.  It said his registration is pending and that he will be a PB.  His sire is Ali and his dam's sire is Habenero.  His EPD's are  .4      47.3            87.9              19.5.  He is polled and black.

Has anyone seen him and if so where can I see his picture?

Has anyone used him and what can you tell me about him?

Jill

He is one that is on my list for next year, very impressive, kind of waiting to hear calving reports on him.  There is a picture of him at  http://www.coremaineanjou.com/herd_sires.html

cpubarn

Tyson has been at Core farms during the last two pasture sales.  He isn't very tall, but walks very well.  Puts a nice hip and extended front on the heifers I saw, but many were a little young yet.  What did the experts think?  I don't think they were really sale features, but I didn't get the results (I was combining).

Mark

justme

I seen him last year...in person his tail head doesn't look that high.  Sounds silly but I thought he looked better in his "working" clothes than that picture.  I'm on the fence with him, would like to see somemore calves out of him too.

Joe Boy

Is he bigger or smaller than Hard Core?

A guy in California says he had two calves in the 130 range out of Hard Core...... people I have talked to said they were smaller calves.... wow, what a difference.

justme

I haven't seen Hardcore...when I was up at Hawkeye he wasn't to be found (heard he had a hoof problem).  My HardCore calves came small and unassisted. Actually my best calves this past year.  I truely believe Tyson will be easier calving...with Ali in his pedigree.  I'd really not hesitate to call Deb Core.  She'll tell you straight forward what she thinks he'll work on. 

chambero

I have a very nice Hard Core bull calf out of a show heifer.  I didn't weigh him when he was born, but he was quite small. 

We had a lot of Bold Statements and Golden Childs born on cows that weren't any  bigger than any other bulls we use.

I think a lot of calving weights depends so much on how you feed those cows.

Show Heifer

Tyson: Pic and bio in Lautner catalog. Is TH/PHA FREE!!!! (and they say the good ones are always carriers!! (clapping))

If this tells ya anything: Cores used Tyson as an AI and clean up bull and  Hard Core wasn't.

pnewendyke

Saw Hard core at hawkeye 18 months ago. Only had one toe on one of his back feet.  He'd probably have a hard time breeding very many cows.  Tyson was there, he was really slick almost like he had been shave dand seemed to be a little stiff in his ankle and overall narrow, he was just a yearling then.  I didnt think much of him.  Best two bulls there at that time were Reload (Hereford) and Sunseeker.  It was amazing to see Who get around as well as he was and sad to see poor Heat Wave.

chambero

Matt Lautner delivered semen to me on Friday night.  The two new calving ease bulls they are pushing are Rocky Balboa and Tyson.  He said Tyson is a little taller bull with not quite as much muscle as the Rocky bull (as would be expected), but he said both of them are very sound.

Ali is not currently producing.  They do have clones of him on the way, but semen is probably 18 months away or so if I remember what he said correctly.  So, I wound up buying some semen on both bulls.  I can tell you more this time next year.

Telos

Tyson is wider tracking then his maternal half in blood brother Hardcore. I would rather have a high tail head then a lower one, any day. I love the Hardcore calves. They are just good fault free kind of cattle. I think the females are going to be very good. Ali should be a good calving ease bull and perhaps put more muscle into his calves then Hardcore. Even though Hardcore is a calving ease bull, Ali should be a little bit better.

farmboy

i need to go to the hawkeye place, id love to see all these ai bulls, ohio is a bit too far away though, anybody have other pics of who?

Telos

Telos said:
Tyson is wider tracking then his maternal half in blood brother Hardcore. I would rather have a high tail head then a lower one, any day. I love the Hardcore calves. They are just good fault free kind of cattle. I think the females are going to be very good. Ali should be a good calving ease bull and perhaps put more muscle into his calves then Hardcore. Even though Hardcore is a calving ease bull, Ali should be a little bit better.
I meant to say Tyson and not Ali.

Joe Boy

Telos,
I do that all the time.  I used to laugh at my mother-in-law when she would start naming all five daughters before she got the right one.  I call my youngest son by his older brothers names and even by my brothers name.....  My wife calls our oldest daughter her baby sister's name....

On the more serious side.  I like wide track animals.  I like deep hearted animals for longevity and in cows I like a higher tail set as it makes for easier calving.  What I like is not always what a show ring judge picks.... but I have a tendency to use more practical things that will work for me on the farm.

A little black boy showing a pig at a show I worked was listening to the judge discussing why he put another pig above his.  The judge said it had more bone....this was back when they took pigs to the race horse look.  The little guy walked up to the judge and asked him, "Judge, you ever eat a bone sandwich."  I laughed right out in the middle of the ring.  I thought the hogs and later the lambs went for a blue carcass rather than the more practical meat and the kid was right and the judges were wrong.

Enjoyed your comment as always.  If you get a chance look up 313548 and 315458.  I am looking at a bull from these two who is polled and black.  I have seen pictures of the sire and I really like him, solid pattern, thick and not too tall.  Mike sent me a picture of him with him petting him in the pasture.  I have some high percentage cows that are large frame, about a 7 and low on milk.  I am going to use Hardcore on them and maybe this guy on their offspring.

Have a good day and what's for supper?

OH Breeder

Joe,
I like the higher tail head as well. Nice whistle front as well. Have to keep us posted on the cavling reports. I am always looking for a calving ease sire.

Attachments

• Tyson.jpg
    Tyson.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 264

Telos

Good to find everyone in good spirits. I too, enjoy and also need more of your comments.

Joe Boy, saw Hardcore in the pasture at Yocham's and really did like him. My critique of him... would like to see him track a little wider from behind. He's a moderate bull with good spring to his rib, but like to see him deeper. A very smooth made bull with a nice foot and correct structure. I did call Core's when Tyson was first pictured and I believe it was Mark I talked to. He said Tyson is wide tracking and very correct. I think both bulls are good. Tyson is not very big from what info I've gathered. Probably would like to see more guts in both bulls, if you were to make them better.

...I also liked both those pedigrees especially that cow, #AMAA 315458. First time to see the Midas x Horton Helena bull. Iabon's... I always heard really good things about them. Very unique pedigree on 315458.

Browarny's have all the photos up from the American Royal. Really did like those Maines. Haven't looked at all the other breeds yet. Take a look at the heifers. They looked good. Brushy Creek's bull looked good also along with Bremer's bull.

Telos

Joe...Went back through those pedigrees again. Have not seen the calf, but one thing is for sure... he has an outcross pedigree much different then the norm.
If the calf is thick and sound I would consider him a good one. He has great cow families stack all throughout, plus polled and black. Should really play off of some of those more typical Maine pedigrees. I'll bet he will make a heck  of a good 'cow maker'. Hard to beat, IMO.

Jill

Ok, so why don't judges like high tail sets.  This seems to be something they have come up with in the past 12-18 months, never heard it talked about prior to that?