Udate from Ohio Expo??

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Show Heifer said:
Just wandering if anyone has a report from the Ohio Expo??? :)

We just got home.  Freezing cold & worn out! We had a week full of ups & downs. Heifer came in heat & went a little wack-O on me. She finally settled down. She went to Texas. Joe & Telos- you'll have to look for her for me.
Very pleased w/ sale. They did an excellant job overall. Carrier cattle sold very low.
Need to catch up!

Red (cow)

Joe Boy

WE are happy for Texas and know it was hard to let her go.... you did a good job.  Ferris, TX is 250 miles from me but not too far from Telos.  I bet we get to see her again.  Rest up and look over your newborns and get ready for another great year. (lol)

justme

CONGRATULATIONS RED!!!!! (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)  I know you worked hard with her.  I'm just sorry I didn't make it home in time from embroidery market.

OMG! I met a lady that raises those minature herefords at market.  Get this (Ididn't know they existed) they also raise minature holsteins!  WHY????????? (cow)

Little bitty Holsteins so you can use little bitty buckets to milk the little bitty udder with little bitty hands and get little bitty amounts of fresh whole delicious nutrient rich milk! DL  (cow) (cow) (cow)

red

Thanks! I'll have to get Telos to look these people up for me. It was strange to sell something & never have spoken to the buyer. This was a Craig deal, so I need to thank him.

I think DL was also very happy where her heifer went. She felt she had a good home.

Mini Herefords I've heard of, but not mini Holsteins!!!! What would be the point?

They had corgi's there at the expo. Someone had a litter of them for sale just down from us. My hubby said that wherever he went he saw a Corgi. He accused me of planning it all. Didn't bring one home. :(

Red

Show Heifer

No matter how many animals I sell, it is still hard to see them go :(
But then I look at the new calves and start making plans all over again! Funny how that works!
Glad to hear everyone made it back safe.....but of couse, haven't heard from DL???? Where are you? ;D

red

She probalby has a sore throat from talking so much (lol). she did say there was a hockey game on today! Her guys that helped her were super nice. They did a great job w/ her heifer.
Saw lots of people from the board & met a lot of "lurkers" too. HI Carlos!!! (welcome)

I can say that Mini Chutes must have been really busy. I saw more people carrying little gromming chutes & stuffed steers. They were fantastic.

Red

DL

Here's dragon lady! Yup I am back and as usual I did take a wrong turn so ended up seeing more of Ohio that I hadn't seen before (I never make the wrong turn more than once!) - really pretty country - but water! wow, high river, flooded fields amazing. Probably need to adk Santa for a GPS! HA! (lol) (lol)

I thought that Craig did a fabulous job - every aniimal was talked about starting with TH and PHA status - announced from the block, then pedigree and then whatever tidbits that were appropriate. I was pleased - my heifer went to a good home for good money and will help to upgrade a commercial herd of an informed buyer - what more could a person ask for?

Like red had a great time, met some people (didn't find either OH Breeder of Malinda though) and found some supportive lurkers - yo Carlos! Reinforced to me that being honest and open and providing information is absolutely the way to go......lots of hey can I talk to you a minute really want to thank you for continuing to provide info etc.....did have one wierd interaction but that is for a different day!

Hockey in 10 minutes, more later gotta go

DL :)

red

Ok, here is a quick breakdown on the prices from the Maine Sale.
I don't have all of them (hubby seems to think he can take a potty break every once in a while) but I tried to break them down according to the groups the sold with.

free                carriers
bulls:      $4765.38        $3033.33
heifers  $2933.33        $2650.00

bulls      $1875.00        $1750.00
heifers  $1850.00        $1733.33

overall the noncarriers averaged about $2855.93 vs $2291.67 for carriers.
If anyone has all the prices, let me know!
It is raining here & as DL can tell you we don't need it!!
Red

Nasc

Red:
I think I got one of your brownies. I was gonna stop but you were talking with a man about your heifer.

Our Expo Results:
All Five Heeler Pups Sold “Yessssssssss”
Our Daughter participated in the grooming contest
Here is her group:

DSCF5103_600.jpg

She placed 16th in the judging contest
10th Over-All in showmanship
and 9th in her Chi Heifer Class

A good weekend for our clan
Nasc!

red

Nasc  (welcome)

Glad you came by, sorry I didn't get a chance to met you.
The team grooming was a great idea. I love to watch those kids pull out all the stops when they do it.
Glad you had a great weekend!!
There were people carrying puppies all over the place. (dog)

Red

red

I had a nice talk w/ the guy that bought my heifer. She is in TN right now, waiting for the trucker to take her to Texas. His 10 year old granddaughter will be showing her so that sounds like fun. I told him I had bought her a purple & white halter just for the new buyer. He really liked the Foreplay cow family she was from so that was a big selling point. I sent him pictures of her dam's family.
I feel much better after talking to him. The trucker had already told him that she was allergic to penicillin so he was aware of that. He also knew I had cried on her when I said goodbye. :'( I think she will have a good home!
Red

chambero

What is she registed as?  I imagine my 8 year old will run into her somewhere down the road.  We're gonna be dragging three heifers as Chis or AOBs.  To shown Maine down here, they have to be 75% or greater.  If less than that, they typically either get shown as an "AOB" or Chi if they can be registered that way.

red

chambero said:
What is she registed as?  I imagine my 8 year old will run into her somewhere down the road.  We're gonna be dragging three heifers as Chis or AOBs.  To shown Maine down here, they have to be 75% or greater.  If less than that, they typically either get shown as an "AOB" or Chi if they can be registered that way.

she is 1/4 Maine so I guess she'll be shown as an AOB. He acted like they would take her to the Texas shows. I never registered anything as a Chi. Here in Ohio, you can show Maines as low as 1/4 in the Mainetainer classes. Even at the State Fair.

Red

chambero

They don't have Maintainer classes down here.  I really wish they did.  She can show in TCCA-sanctioned shows as an AOB as well as Houston (actually called "Other Registered Breeds" and I believe San Antonio.  We run ours as Chi's just so we are tied in with an association.  We actually double-register most of our heifers that are shown.