Ultrasound Info

Help Support Steer Planet:

klintdog

Just got our ultrasound info back. For those who use it when purchasing bulls, how do you like to see it presented? Actual or Adjusted information? What's your selection criteria for rump fat, rib fat, rib eye, and IM Fat?

aj

I always felt you can't compare between manage ment groups. Also alot of things like intramuscular fat will vary as to how animals were fed. I always thought it was better used in sire groups to identify trends but I guess they do the Denver pen bulls.So you could compare between bulls in a pen like Jungels bulls but not nessecarily out side of the management group. However I spose all the bulls were pushed hard so maybe you can compare between groups. I myself would like to increase fleshing ability in cow herd. However waste on a carcass is genetically the same thing as fleshing ability so there has to be a happy medium I would think. Jungels No Problem bull showed a 14.14 rea adjusted to a 1.54 rea per 100 weight. I thought he was very interesting potential sire with his low bwt background. Did they do the bulls on the hill?

simtal

Ultrasound is  as good as the technician, and even with experience they don't get 'em everytime.

For feedlot cattle, if we correlate (between predicted and actual) at 80% thats about the best you can do, reality is more like 70% or less. 

The fatter they are, the harder it is to predict.

klintdog

So for the ribeye/hundred weight calculation - I can't really use the adjusted rid eye measurement since I won't know the adjusted weight, logic would say that the actual weight and actual rib eye would be the way to measure this...correct?

simtal

I've only seen it used on feedlot cattle, ribeye area/ carcass weight

but yeah, actual rib eye over actual weight would fine, I think

red

for the OH & IA Beef Expo sales they require all bulls to be ultrasound.

Red

Beach Limousin

When I am looking a bulls to use (keep in mind I like limi cattle) I like to see the adj. scans so that i know all data is calculated at the same number of days. I like to see big ribs and a moderate IMF. and the rest is usually in sequence.
Just my opinion
Cody
Beach Limousin

klintdog

Thanks Beach.

What carries more weight in your mind, ultrasound info on bulls, or Igenity scores?