ultrasounding cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

linnettejane

someone mentioned having a cow ultrasounded for preg check in the classifieds, i was just wondering if anyone else does this as opposed to palpating?  pro's and con's.....curious about the cost also, or any other comments along this line....

simtal

I think if you have the availability to ultrasound, go and do it.  Its a lot more accurate than palpation. 

Will

We have ours cows ultra sounded every fall.  Our vet comes out and uses a portable ultra sound machine.  It is nice because their is no guess work.  He charges us $4/head.

Show Heifer

Ultrasounding: More accurate on breeding date, easier on embryo, less stressful on cows.
Have had it done for the last 13 years and have 98% accuracy on AI vs. bull bred which therefore makes calving season much easier.

shortdawg

It is definitely the way to go. My tech's portable ultrasound machine will determine the number of days old the embryo is.

DL

Ultrasounding cows - great way to go! Wouldn't do it any other way
-can accurately determine 28 day pregnancy
-can determine fetal viability (ie look at movement and beating heart) - dead fetus can palpate pregnant for up to 30 days
-can accuarately determine fetal age - AI vs bull bred, ET vs bull bred, calving date etc
-can accurately sex fetus from 60 to 90 days
-less stressful to the embryo, less manipulation to uterus
-can identify twins as early as 30 days
-can identify some fetal abnormalities (not TH and PHA)

justme

I don't have the luxury of having a close tech in my area.  There is a horse vet that does it but she wants $20 a cow.  That is way to much to do a herd.  We palpate and our vet is pretty darn good.  Our closest tech is about 2 hours away that we could find.  Wish he was closer.

Jill

It is the same as witching for water.  Take 2 copper rods and hold them straight out over the back of the cow, like right in front of the hip bone area, if she is bred they will cross.  Howard Fehlman is the one that was telling us about it, and I thought it was a big joke, but it is really accurate, just won't tell you days bred.
Ultrasound works great, it is 7 dollars here, we use it if we are selling one as a bred, otherwise we generally don't need that much information.

linnettejane

ugghh! i just called my vet, he said the portable ultrasound machines were too expensive and he doesnt have one, doesnt plan on getting one....and doesnt know any vet around that has one.... :p

reno1014

I know how dissapointed you are...I was too.    Looks like its time to go on in there. ;D  Our vet came out and palpated our heifer...he is soooo good
he told us we were having twins, what color they were and what the sex was of each of them.  He even told us their names.  Now if I didnt get my
six dollars worth then I dont know what IS worth six dollars!

maine106

Linette the tiny consolation I can offer is a bad or inexperienced tech is a big problem!  I have had one that was just inexperienced, but still expected to be paid as if she had a clue, and one that was flat out bad. 

Jill I have a Great-Uncle that swears by this.  They have tracked his results and it is scary how right it is!  With the cost of vets these days and the lack of quality in my area I might have to consider it!

JbarL

bio tracking has a blood sample test for under 4 bucks....with postage and supplies its about 10 bucks a head, thats  as good as i can do ....i had the vet do it this year.....he dosnt have an image machine ( yet :-\ ).... i envy you all that are fortunate enough to be close to those facalities ....great tools.....        jbarl              biotracking pregnacy test.com

jnm

I just sent 28 samples to bio-tracking; my cost for postage, all supplies, and the test was about 3.65 per animal

jnm

At what stage due you ultra sound? I was once told you could only ultrasound in early prenacy.