up to 150,000 dead cattle in South Dakota

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

Pleasant Grove Farms said:
so you are saying with the government out of it, food prices in the US wouldn't change and the affluent countries that eat all of our food are just fine in paying the increased cost it would take to produce it and everything would be better....

I wish ppl like you would run for public office so all of our problems would be solved.
Why don't you?  You know all the solutions.

(in our isolation, in our local grocery store, there are labels that say, grown in Washing state for apples, grown in Texas for melons, grown in Florida for citrus, product of the USA in the meatcase; but most likely we are an isolated example).

These are pretty commonly known economic principles; not just solutions "I've" come up with.  I realize your accounting/finance/economics background is limited, but I feel you- at the very minimum- have the thirst for knowledge/ability required to learn. 

You are correct that the most retail food prices wouldn't change. Very little food at your local grocery is grown domestically- despite your anecdotal examples. They are grown in countries that are able to profit from production ag w/o government subsidies; places with lower land cost, lower labor costs, and generally- more suited growing conditions (S. America). Without this price fixing of food, the price would only reflect the intrinsic value of the commodity-

Only the American producers that could profit w/o subsidies would be left in the market to compete. When a product becomes scarcer, what happens to price? This reduced supply would inevitably raise the value of beef.  True, there would be less producers, BUT - the American producers with the ability to produce w/o subsidies would be compensated more so than ever. 

The future of our economy is in service and technology.  It is this technology that allows us to produce the superior food globally demanded. 

knabe

why wouldn't food prices change?

break down a loaf of bread.

the biggest disaster the west imposes on the rest of the world, even worse than war, is free food.

knabe

justintime

First of all, let me say that I am not a person who believes in big government at any level. I think many of the problems in Western society have been caused by big cumbersome governments where there are far too many bureaucrats living on the government tit. It just doesn't work... anywhere.

That being said, I can not think of many places that governments spread money that would be more fitting than helping these ranchers, some of whom have watched decades of work disappear in one snowstorm. I have few problems with these people being able to get some government assistance to help them when this really could be called a once in a lifetime loss they have had. I doubt if there are many of these ranchers that are just sitting around waiting for the government to help, but they are frantically trying to gather up what is left and keep their places together.
Without very much thought, I can think of countless places where government wastes more money on a daily basis than what they would spend to help some of the hardest working, best citizens in the nation. I cannot see why there is even a debate on this issue! 

BTDT

Commercialfarmers lack of an answer speaks volumes.  Wheat subsidies are some of the largest in the Midwest. 

Pleasant Grove - I sent you a PM

knabe

i'm all for getting rid of subsidies and only having catastrophic recovery from the government that is clearly beyond local infrastructure.  that is the role of federal government. not going in debt by 50% every year to help 1/3 of the population while removing 25% of the cost of doing it locally and giving federal infrastructure creeping consolidation and control over every segment of our lives and draining any thought of being independent.