upcoming shows in MI, OH, IN?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LFFASHOWER

I would like some information on upcoming shows in MI, OH. IN for the next cpl of months. Thanks in advance!

amss101

Me, too.  The ones posted are @ least 5 hrs. away.  I'll take Ill. too if anyone knows of something.  Next one close to me is the Hoosier Beef Congress.

shortyjock89

Heart of it All in Lima OH is November 29th.  That's a good 5 hrs from me, but I'm in IL too.  Kind of like consolation NAILE since we don't get to show our Shorthorns there this year (missed the ownership deadline).  Anyhow, I would like to know of any in IL or Indiana before then.

amss101

I hate to go to anything the weekend before Beef Congress, I wish we could find something about the first or second weekend of Nov.  Guess were just ahead of the game.

shortyjock89

amss101 said:
I hate to go to anything the weekend before Beef Congress, I wish we could find something about the first or second weekend of Nov.  Guess were just ahead of the game.

Do you have to live in Indiana to show at Congress?

amss101

No, anyone can attend.  It's a very nicely done.  They run 4 rings at all times and have a decent size trade show.  Biggest thing there is tying your calves out...you have to walk a ways to get to your trailer usually.  I always say if there not broke before congress they will be after!!  How far are you from Indy in Ill?

shortyjock89

I'm about two hours from Indy, live 6 miles into Illinois.  I think I will have to attend this year, I have always wanted to.

amss101

We went back when they first started and then didn't have anyone the right age to go...and it had really grown when we started back.  It is a little expensive-$75 per head but it is all weekend and good fun.  I recommend it.  We're just about an hour and half.  It's too nice of show being that close not to go.

Hoosier

amss101 said:
No, anyone can attend.  It's a very nicely done.  They run 4 rings at all times and have a decent size trade show.  Biggest thing there is tying your calves out...you have to walk a ways to get to your trailer usually.  I always say if there not broke before congress they will be after!!  How far are you from Indy in Ill?

actually, unless the rules changed from last year, you have to be an indiana resident to show at HBC unless you purchase something in one of the sales and would like to show it in the jr. show.

amss101

Yep, my mistake.  I looked earlier at the guidelines when I checked the deadline on entry forms.  I apologize for that.  Guess I never really thought about it, I just assumed anyone could go.  It's probably always been that way, I just never paid attention.  But, Olsen you could always come over and sell somthing...OR buy!

amss101

Or move in with the neighbors 6 mile down the road.  I'm sure they'd love to have you and a few show cattle.  ;)

shortyjock89

I wish anyone could show at it, now I think I may have to go to Badger Kickoff instead....If I don't go to Badger, I'll come over for the Shorthorn sale and to look around.

Hoosier

yeah i'm not really sure why it is that way, but i guess it's the same in ohio and some other beef expos.
Hey amss101, where are you from and what are you takin?

amss101

Southern Indiana, my daughters have a couple of steers.  How about you--where you from and what are you taking?

Hoosier

southern indiana, around jasper.  my sister's gonna have a steer and a heifer there and i've got to help a friend fit a few steers

amss101

BUT not helping your sister, ic...Not going to take anything up yourself either?  We took two crossbred's last year.  Taking 1 cross, and 1 breed--maybe 2 if we find something else we like along the way.  Do you like the show?

Hoosier

oh i'm gonna help her too don't get me wrong! just got a few others to work on too. i'm not takin any for myself cause i'm too old to show, may try to have a couple in the sale next year...time will tell on that one!

probably have a simmi heifer and a crossbred steer of ours, possibly a breed steer, got a may chi steer i raised, not sure if he'll be ready by then

I do like the show...great competition and it's nice that it's reasonably close.  I agree that tie outs can be a pain but other than that, i think it's well organized and the barns and show ring setup are top notch

amss101

Well, we bought our youngest daughter a "cheap" steer earlier this year because she's not old enough to show at the county level--here its finished 3rd grade..she's in second, but we thought that would give her some experience.  Well, he is coming along nicely, gaining, well broke-has been shown once already, but he is green.  In the mean time we've came across another steer, thats registered and have thought about getting it because my older daughter could show it at jr. nationals and the younger one at the jackpot shows.  The problem is what do I do with the other one...I tossed around sending to the sale at congress but w/ him being a little green, I'm not sure it would be worth it.  Structurally he is sound, nice hair--not a BIG winner but will be respectable especially at a county fair.  How do you think something like that would sell up there?  I haven't watched the sale in years.  Any idea's?

Hoosier

just kinda depends on the year and the crowd.  the last couple years cattle have sold pretty decent but i've seen em sell low too.  i wasn't there last year but the two years before that anything with some quality and a nice look sold pretty well