Attachments

• DSC_0572.JPG
    DSC_0572.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,246
  • DSC_0635.JPG
    DSC_0635.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,117

OH Breeder

I like him. I read an article once that when you select a show steer you should pick them like chubby folks. The article went on to say that you evaluate a steer like a chubby person. I think this calf has alot to offer.

knabe

to me, he's a little short muzzled, and this may not be the way he is, but to out in front on his front feet.  i think he looks good, but i'd be concerned he'd have trouble keeping fresh.  i think he looks good though.

chambero

He'd show well down here in Texas.  Looks like a real good steer for his age.

Jill

OH Breeder said:
I like him. I read an article once that when you select a show steer you should pick them like chubby folks. The article went on to say that you evaluate a steer like a chubby person. I think this calf has alot to offer.

What is the difference in how chubby folks and skinny folks pickem, I think I'm missing something?

Dusty

knabe said:
to me, he's a little short muzzled, and this may not be the way he is, but to out in front on his front feet.   i think he looks good, but i'd be concerned he'd have trouble keeping fresh.  i think he looks good though.

i agree with being a little short muzzled, but i think that his front feet being to far out front is more a function of him standing slightly downhill.....

Bawndoh

I agree with the short muzzle.  He may have grown out of it.  Also, these calves dont seem to have enough bone in them that would make their legs come under them better.  Not that bone has a direct correlation with that.  Just seems that bone would help with it.  I have not seen this calf since June.  I am hoping to get back over to my sisters next week.  I will post a photo as to what he looks like now...good or bad.  It seems that the calves change so much over time.  I may even have a wicked heifer photo for you.  We will see.

doubled

Nice calf hope someone picks him up he will make a nice
RA steer for someone

thats funny

knabe said:
to me, he's a little short muzzled, and this may not be the way he is, but to out in front on his front feet.   i think he looks good, but i'd be concerned he'd have trouble keeping fresh.  i think he looks good though.
he only looks like hes toeing out because he is looking back at the camera

OH Breeder

Jill said:
OH Breeder said:

What is the difference in how chubby folks and skinny folks pickem, I think I'm missing something?
The article did not say anything about chubby PEOPLE or skinny PEOPLE. Pick the calf like a chubby person LOOKS.Stout frame and easy fleshing. Long lean calves will grow up to be long and lean steers. Dave GUyer wrote it for Show Circuit magazine. It was kind of interesting. I am not skinny at all and probably would make a decent county fair steer myself. You had to read the article. If I can find it I will post it.

Bawndoh

Update!  This steer is actually a very late April. 
He will be shown on Tuesday Nov 25 in the Prospect show at Canadian Western Agribition. 

I am also including several other photos of some heifers we will be showing there as well.  I like all of them a lot.  I think overall they need some base width, and a hoof trim.  These calves are not yet weaned, but will go on grain as of today.  They are all nearly purebred RA, with some (1/8-1/16 or less) of old style maine, or limi. 
Let me know what you think, and let me know if you will be around at this years CWA!!

Attachments

• zzz-str.jpg
    zzz-str.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 626
  • zzz-str1.jpg
    zzz-str1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 625

Bawndoh

Two out of the five heifers we have put in the show pen.  Of coarse I will try to picture the rest as time goes on.  These are not necessarily show cattle, but seriously attractive and productable calves out of the best cows on the farm.  Will also try to picture the mama's as time goes on.

Attachments

• zzz-450.jpg
    zzz-450.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 629
  • zzz-4501.jpg
    zzz-4501.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 626
  • zzz-4502.jpg
    zzz-4502.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 606
  • zzz-hfr.jpg
    zzz-hfr.jpg