UPDATE on down heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

The vet was out and examined her...he felt she had pregnancy toxemia. Prepped her for a c-section and pulled out a live 54 pound heifer calf. Calf is breathing on its own and alert, probably about 3 weeks early. Cow was stitched up and given an IV of Cal-Dex and hopefully will be doing better soon. She does not look great right now but has been thru hell the past 5 days. Thanks everyone for your replies. I doubt I would have called the vet so quickly if not for the urging of several of you. Hopefully now we can save both, or at least one. I know if we had done nothing they both would be dead.

Show Heifer

Glad to know sheep things can transfer to cows!!  Make sure to keep calf very warm. I am not sure, but do not think they can regulate their temp being that premature.
Nice job braunvieh, just keep in mind you have done all you can do at this point!! Keep up the good work!

CAB

Show Heifer said:
Glad to know sheep things can transfer to cows!!  Make sure to keep calf very warm. I am not sure, but do not think they can regulate their temp being that premature.
Nice job braunvieh, just keep in mind you have done all you can do at this point!! Keep up the good work!

It's good to know that sheep info can translate between species Jen, but with my very limited sheep experience, if Braunvieh's cow was a sheep, she'd been toast a few days ago.

Good luck Roseanne, hope they both do well for you. Very good instincts and husbandtry skills. <beer> <rock>

kfacres

it's AMAZING at what will transfer between species, and from animals to humans... 

Ever think about medicines, hormones, and the such... don't think they make a sheep version and a cattle version of baytril!!!  <rock>

DL

Good deal - glad thing are looking up - in situations like this the cow may benefit from hand feeding (assuming she isn't eating much on her own) and beef nutridrench or another liquid vitamin/mineral boost - I have had good luck feeding Purina Equine Senior to cows that are bad off - also ask your vet about giving her a dose of dexamethasone - will help with the appetite and inflammation from either the injury or the cs - as SH mentioned keep that baby warm - premature babies don't heat regulate like adults - she can get cold in an instant! I've had premies in the calf warmer for a couple of days - calf coat won't hurt either - good luck and good job,

PLKR

Show Heifer said:
I agree--the calf will have difficulty staying warm. If you have access to a calf "blanket/coat" I think it might be helpful. We had a similar calf about 12 years ago and the biggest issues were keeping it warm (luckily we had a calf blanket) and lung issues since it was premature, as well. Within a few days ours was doing well and grew up to be a healthy, robust feedlot steer...   Good luck!

braunvieh

We have a calf heater, baby is in there. I do have some beef nutridrench and will give that to the cow. I don't know how to get her to drink or eat otherwise so I hope it will help. Thanks for all the comments!

Show Heifer

Actual, a lot of things will transfer from sheep to cattle, and vice versa. Problem is, some things don't and ya have to be smart enough to know which is which. Some meds work, some will definately kill sheep.  I'm just glad all seems to be well.

Hey CAB, I have a running joke between my Uncle and I. He hates sheep and is a huge cattleman. I tell him the reason most cattleman do not like sheep is because sheep actually take management skills!!  (Translate that to: an "about to get sick" lamb will probably be dead tomorrow, an "about sick calf" will be alive.... sheep therefore take better observation and management skills!)

DL

braunvieh said:
We have a calf heater, baby is in there. I do have some beef nutridrench and will give that to the cow. I don't know how to get her to drink or eat otherwise so I hope it will help. Thanks for all the comments!

What I have done, and I am assuming that the cow is either tame or feeling so rotten you can easily handle her, is either mix up some stuff with water (Equine senior is good - has fiber but easy to digest and apparently tastes good) - take a handful and stuff it in her mouth - chances are you will get filthy and she will spit out a bunch - but keep on truckin' - sometimes after a handful or 2 they will eat; alfalfa pellets or cubes that are wet and soggy; another trick is molasses on some sort of feed, mixed in warm water - the goal is basically to keep the rumen working. You can also put water or electrolytes in a pop bottle and lift her head and glug it in - you can drench her (ie with a tube in the rumen) but if you haven't done that before I wouldn't necessarily try it now

glad the baby is in the warmer

CAB

I sure won't argue with you about sheep taking a better eye than I have. it may be that I don't care to look @ them too long also. The girls almost had me talked into having lambs one year. Thank goodness that it never came to be. Just kidding. I don't know a thing about sheep though.

Dusty

CAB said:
I sure won't argue with you about sheep taking a better eye than I have. it may be that I don't care to look @ them too long also. The girls almost had me talked into having lambs one year. Thank goodness that it never came to be. Just kidding. I don't know a thing about sheep though.

When one sheep dies two more die for sympathy...

braunvieh

The cow died during the night. She never made any improvement after she started going downhill, even with delivering the calf.

The calf, on the other hand, is doing well and is up and getting around. She has not figured out the sucking reflex yet but is trying to take a bottle, just can't get it figured out. She is so small a smaller nipple would probably be better but I don't have one.

kanshow

Sorry to hear about the cow but glad the calf is doing good.    Got my fingers crossed that she keeps going strong!

Show Heifer

Sorry to hear about your cow braunvieh.... that is really a hard one. But please take solice in knowing you did all you could and did the best you could have done. Sometimes they are just too far gone.
Good luck with the calf!

Shady Lane

If you can get into a feed store or something similar, you might find that a lamb nipple would work better for your small calf, they usually fit on a coke bottle or something similar and should not cost more than a couple dollars.