Updated Photos

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeBnTN

Thanks to everyone who has inquired about the bull calf we posted pictures of last fall.  He's continued to do well and we've got him running with some heifers - cleaning up after AI.  Since several of you have asked about him, I thought I put up a couple of pics taken today.  Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1864 -small.JPG
    IMG_1864 -small.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1866 - small.JPG
    IMG_1866 - small.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 170

JoeBnTN

shortyisqueen said:
I REALLY like him as well! What is his pedigree?

Thanks!  He's sired by Matador (the bull in my avatar) and out of a straight Elbee cow.  Matador is a Tex son out of Missie 709 - a PACE performance dam who is also the mother of Massive.  The cow is a Gizmo daughter that goes back to Elbee Darrell on the dam's side.  We think he's bred to be a low birthweight, very maternal bull, yet still have enough muscle and performance.

CPL

I take it you bred him? He looks great. Its always nice to see people using bulls they've bred. Congrats with this guy and I'd sure like to see the pictures as he matures. How many calves do you think y ou'll get from him?

clubcalve

Have to say I agrre that it is a little more rewarding to raise and show a home grown animal.

TJ

ELBEE said:
                                                                         (thumbsup)

Ditto...  (thumbsup)

JoeBnTN

CPL said:
I take it you bred him? He looks great. Its always nice to see people using bulls they've bred. Congrats with this guy and I'd sure like to see the pictures as he matures. How many calves do you think y ou'll get from him?

Yes, we bred him.  We've been very fortunate over the years to have developed several bulls that went out to some of the best Shorthorn  herds in the country, but this may be the best one yet.  He's a little different than most of the bulls out today as he is truly bred for practical performance, with no consideration of the show ring.  That's not a knock on the show ring, but I really believe the needs and demands are very different.  There are some really good Shorthorns that can bring value to the bigger beef industry, there just hasn't been a premium placed on them like there has been with the Angus.  In fact,  I had a very prominent Angus breeder tell me that if he were black with no genetic problems, his value would be astronomical. 

Anyway, we're having fun with him and will have a few calves this fall.  BTW, he's about 15 months old when this picture was taken, weighing around 1350 and has been running with a small group of heifers since late fall.

JoeBnTN

ELBEE said:
                                                                         (thumbsup)

Thanks!  You should see his full sister!

OH Breeder

Really nice bull. Looks like he could work in a variety of situations. Great he has some out cross bloodlines. He looks how a bull should.

JoeBnTN

linnettejane said:
JoeBnTN said:
ELBEE said:
                                                                         (thumbsup)

well.....show us!   ;D

She's just a baby so I'm keeping her hid for a while - my neice may need a show heifer!! <cowboy>

kfacres

Like the bull, like the bone/ foot, and the outcross pedigree...  Looks like a super practical, stockman's type of cattle that will function, live, and produce.. ALl things that this great Shorthorn breed needs...  He's correct, balanced, and masculine....

Would be interested in seeing pixs of calves when they arrive.

Davis Shorthorns

JoeBnTN said:
linnettejane said:
JoeBnTN said:
ELBEE said:
                                                                         (thumbsup)

well.....show us!   ;D

She's just a baby so I'm keeping her hid for a while - my neice may need a show heifer!! <cowboy>
You shouldn't tease us like that.  ;)