Using a donkey on calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

AKTcattle

I have a heifer that we've been trying to break for awhile. She's as tame as a kitten until you try leading her around, then she gets super skittish. Once you stop pulling on her she starts licking you and stands perfectly but after you start pulling her she throws her head and spins in circles.
Lately, I've been walking her for long periods of time and she has good stretches and then she starts getting skittish after awhile.
I was wondering if using a donkey would make her more skittish when leading or if using a donkey really helps or if I should just keep trying to walk her.
Any advice on this topic would be appreciated.

chiangus

What length of rope do you use between donkey and calf?  Any chance the donkey will kick at the calf?

MCC

chiangus said:
What length of rope do you use between donkey and calf?  Any chance the donkey will kick at the calf?

We use a rope about 2 foot long with snaps on each end. Sometimes they will kick a calf but we have never had a calf injured. With a short rope like 2 foot the calf can't get back behind the donkey to where it can get kicked very hard.

MCC

smo said:
how long do u leave them put together for

Depends on the calf. When I can walk up to the calf without him trying to get away and pull on the rope and make him walk forward a couple of steps I'll take him off. If I can't lead him to his pen I'll put him back on for a while. I've had calves that it only took half of a day and some that were left on for a week.

wyatt

the farm i get my steers at break all there calves with donkeys had one only one get seriously hurt probably there best steer ever. but they work good we put a harness on the donkey and tie the rope as short as you can get it