Using Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) for a calming agent

Help Support Steer Planet:

Burnetaggie99

Has anybody used GABA which is gamma aminobutyric acid as a calming agent in show cattle? I was given some powder from a steer jockey and he said it works wonders on show calves. I have always just used L - Tryptophan powder, Quitetex paste & powder and 5 MG Melatonin pills. Anybody tried GABA?

Show Heifer

Just curious... and a question to all: Who do you trust when given "a white powder given to me by Fred".  Do you trust Fred? Do you trust people on the internet? Trust your vet? Trust a neighbor?

Burnetaggie99

I checked with the vet and he said GABA is a natural amnio acid found in animals & humans. It helps boost mood, builds muscle, helps decrease anxiety and depression.  He said he didn't think it would be illegal to use at shows since its a natural amino acid found in animals.  I know you can use Quietex, L-tryptophan, and melatonin at the shows. It legal and works very well.

sam1988

my vet told me if its not approved, you cant use it unless for therapeutic uses, and then he is responsible for the residues.  in other words, use approved products.

pwm

my vet said pretty much the same thing as sam's.  I wouldn't take any chances.