using heifers for calving ease angus recips

Help Support Steer Planet:

drl

Does anyone see a problem with using heifers for recips if the eggs are calving ease pb angus embryos? I have a couple angus cows that need more heifers out of and was looking to get more recips this way since I breed the heifers angus anyway.

kidsandkows

I think it sounds riskier for the embryo. Depending on the value of it you may not want to take that risk. But as far as the heifers I cant see where it would be anymore risky than AI ing them the same way.

Heifers just tend to have higher incidence of dystocia than mature cows.

hntwhitetail

They may not be able to realize their full potential w/ the way some first calf heifers milk.

blackdiamond

hntwhitetail said:
They may not be able to realize their full potential w/ the way some first calf heifers milk.

but most people put eggs in sale barn shitters--- so therefore, most of them aren't worth a crap milkers either.

personally, I'd not be opposed to doing it. 

furinsilex

I would deffinitly worry about milk, heifers just naturally dont milk even in comparison to "sale barn" cows.  Other concern i would have is conception rates, i know our conception rates are SIGNIFICANTLY lower in heifers compared to cows this would be similar for embryos id guess.  Some people dont have these problems though.

Till-Hill

You should be talking to your vet and nutritionist if your saying your heifer conception rate is lower than your cows. Heifers have no stress.
They are the most fertile as heifers!

blackdiamond

Till-Hill said:
You should be talking to your vet and nutritionist if your saying your heifer conception rate is lower than your cows. Heifers have no stress.
They are the most fertile as heifers!
x2 and their typically the easiest to AI

OH Breeder

blackdiamond said:
hntwhitetail said:

but most people put eggs in sale barn ****ters--- so therefore, most of them aren't worth a crap milkers either.

personally, I'd not be opposed to doing it. 

Who does your eggs? The recips we use are some of the best maternal cows naturally.I am sure their are folks that use sale barn buys, but the folks I work with care alot about maternal abilities of their recips. One of the best recips they use had triplets for me from a single egg transfer and fed 4 calves while keeping her shape. I told them to put all my eggs in her.

The vet I work with says the same thing about heifers and fertility- they are naturally more fertile and take eggs easier. I would just be scared about the ability of them to take care of the calf having no experience.