using mens pre-shave on calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

nobody

Has anyone heard of using a mens pre-shave on cattle to make the hair pop?  It is a liquid men put on their face to make the whiskers stand up before they shave.

cebwtx

We recently were at a show where someone was was using it. I don't know what kind of results they got or how its effectiveness was. They were stalled just across from us and it was overpowering odor. They did win their class for what that's worth.

twistedhshowstock

I have never heard of using pre-shave, but a lot of people have long used after shave liquids mixed with something like clean sheen to get the hair to pop. After shave is an astringent thus has a lot of alcohol in it. When you put it on it will rapidly cool the skin making the hair folicles pop.  Just be careful using it a lot because it will dry them out!

ccrider

We mix sheen, final bloom, and a good shot of "lectric shave".  It works good for show day, and I use it when clipping.  There is a tread here on steer planet about using it.

justintime

I mix sheen, final bloom, hair stimulator and add about a 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of Aqua Velva aftershave or pre shave lotion. I find any of those cheaper aftershaves work pretty well. With all this mixed together, I make sure I don't drop the sprayer as it may blow a hole in the floor!!

nobody

We tried the lectra shave and it seemed to have some type of skin conditioner in it that felt a little oily so we cut it with alcohol. It did give a nice sheen to the hair though. The heifer we are using it on has horrible hair, probably the worst we have ever had. We normally use a mixture of double dip and kleen sheen. We have also used horse linament and bay rum and I think alcohol. So far everything we have used has weighed her hair down. She has the worst tail head ever, we even tried using a flat iron on it to straighted it out...didn't work LOL. They make chemical hair straighteners for people, wonder if you could use it on cattle...just kidding. I'm sure we will get her kinky hair worked out eventually, it's just taking longer with this one so it's frustrating. 

Latest posts