Using neck sweats

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Ok, good question here. I need to trim down my heifer's neck some. I am using both kinds of neck sweats. I also have the liquid hot sweat stuff. How soon do you start before the show for the best results? Also how long do you typically keep the sweats on?

Thanks so much!

Red

Jill

We just bought a new set last weekend, the Sullivan guy said 12 on 12 off use neoprene for calves that are tied up and the leather for if they are loose.  I don't have an answer for how soon before the show, guess I just assumed you did it all the time.

chambero

If you really want it off, put a neoprene on with a leather collar on over top of it (to prevent them from being able to rub the neoprene one off).  We used to leave them on all the time.  We'd leave on a few days, then take them off for one or two.  It doesn't do much for their hair, but it will get some of the fat off from under their neck.  We don't cinch the neoprene ones down when used like that as much as you would for a short time.

red

Chambero, that's what I'm doing. Anyone use the liquid sweat too? I read that you use it about 10 days before the show for best results.
I think when we get her clipped she'll look better. She has a ton of hair on her.

Red

xkrushx

We used the liquid hot sweat. We applied the hot sweat after every rinse and made sure to rinse twice a day. That stuff is pretty potent and if left on, it could burn their hair and even skin. We kept the hot sweat on them continuously with just a neoprene neck sweat for about a month and saw great results. If you take the fat off their neck too soon, it is way better than not getting it off at all.... so I would start using it now and not a specified amount of time before the show. Hope this helps..