Vaccine and Worming Schedules

Help Support Steer Planet:

I am trying to get a vaccine and deworming schedule down for my cattle, I live in the south eastern US. Does anyone have a vaccine schedule and worming schedule that works and  they could share with me?

Lucky_P

I'd strongly recommend developing a good working relationship with a local large animal/food animal veterinarian.  They will know what problems/diseases are prevalent in your area and can discuss what you need to do... depending upon what direction you're headed with your cattle, your facilities, and abilities.

RyanChandler

I haven’t vaccinated anything in as long as I can remember but I try to worm at least twice a year.  Long range is my preferred option but it requires the hassle of bringing every cow through the chute.  Talking about having better things to do.  I’ve used a lot of the various pour ons and have had the best look with ivermax.  It’s a generic ivermectin tractor supply sells for pennies on the dollar of what the brand name runs.  Double or tripling up on the dose is still relatively inexpensive compared to the alternatives and it will really slick them off and get them looking nice and shiny.  The other pour ons maybe good quality but with as little quantity as the lane calls for, I’m not sure it’s feasible to get the level of absorption needed to get the job done.  And as expensive as it is, you can hardly afford to compensate by using a larger volume.

Lucky_P

I am a DVM, originally from UCLA (upper corner of lower Alabama), but I'm not YOUR veterinarian, and not in your locale.
The article steve123 linked is a good start in explaining why strategic deworming is desirable, not just deworming based on a set calendar date.

Pour-ons are a p***-poor way of delivering a dewormer to where it needs to go to kill worms, and the generics (pour on or injectible) have a really poor track record for efficacy... I used to be a cheap rascal and bought the generic stuff - but if it doesn't kill anything... you've wasted your money - and time running 'em through the chute.  I only buy 'name-brand' product anymore.
I don't deworm adult cows.  Calves, yes.  Weanling and yearling heifers, yes. First-calf heifers yes.  But... after age 3... almost never.  I like the combination of an injectible avermectin and an oral benzimidazole drench - studies have shown it to be as effective as LongRange, yet less than half the cost.  I would only use/recommend LongRange for use in stocker calves... would never use it in my cow/calf operation... it looks like the very recipe for developing a population of resistant parasites.

Vaccines - you can do a lot or a little.  Depends on what disease pressures your herd is subjected to, and what you're trying to do with your herd. 
Our herd has been closed for 25+ years, with no fence-to-fence contact with other cattle, and we're strictly commercial, so we're minimalist in our approach.  If you have neighbors who are cattle traders, or you're hauling to and from shows, you probably need more than I do.  Your vet can recommend, based on what's prevalent in your area and what your goals are. 
MINIMUM... you should give calves two doses of a 7-way or 9-way Clostridial bacterin/toxoid, as directed on the label, after 60 days of age.  If you're not vaccinating against the Clostridial diseases (blackleg, malignant edema, tetanus, etc.)... you're rolling the dice and likely to get a big, big loss at some point.
Cows here get Spirovac L5 yearly and a 5-way Lepto booster 6 months later.  Boost with a 9-way Clostridial every 3 years or so... 'cause I've seen blackleg in adult cows on an estrus synch program, even though they had a good history of adequate vaccination as calves. 
Calves that are 'leaving' here get pre-weaning vaccination of Inforce-3 intranasal and BVD One Shot, with a booster of Bovi-Shield Gold 5 10-14 days later. 
That's all we do... but you may need or want more.
Again, develop a relationship with a local veterinarian.