Value of 'horn semen package

Help Support Steer Planet:

ploughshare

How would you 'horn guys value this semen package?  I was wondering if its even useful?

DL Deer Park Leader, 1 unit
CF Trump, 1 unit
Deer Park Leader 13, 5 units
Deer Park Improver 57th, 2 units
Red Rider 844, 2 units
Radio Active, 8 units
Big N Rich, 8 units
CC Cujo, 3 units
MFS Equity, 3 units
Pa Do Boxer, 3 units
Gunsmoke, 1 unit
Major Impact, 1 unit

oakview

If you want to sell the group, I'd be interested.  Pretty close by, easy to pick up. 

justintime

My valuation would be $1625, but if someone took it all, I would sell it at $1400. That is my valuations on the semen listed here. I am sure some others would value it completely different

Doc

I'm going to say $2,085 individually.  That number is based on the 1st bull being the original Leader bull. The scary part there is , if it is him not knowing if it is any good. That's some old semen.

Hilltop

Maybe you could set the 13th semen in the bottom of a tank and ship it with 5 straws of exportable semen??

Just joking but would sure be cool to be able to flush a cow or two to the Ol boy!

ploughshare

Interesting valuations.  The seller of this package is asking $3200.  I really think the individual straws on a couple of the bulls hurts this package.  Although maybe Cowboy could split a straw on a flush and make it work.

justintime

Glenstory said:
Interesting valuations.  The seller of this package is asking $3200.  I really think the individual straws on a couple of the bulls hurts this package.  Although maybe Cowboy could split a straw on a flush and make it work.

That is why my valuation is as low as it is. I was leary of single straws. I know some people flush with 1 straw but I prefer to have at least two. I could easily add another $1000 to my amount if there was more than one straw of a couple bulls.

Doc

Glenstory said:

I would venture to geuss that the DL semen is in an amp, which equates to more semen.

aj

There is not really any way to gaurentee or evaluate semen quality is there...without thawing it and looking under a microscope?

ploughshare

aj said:
There is not really any way to guarantee or evaluate semen quality is there...without thawing it and looking under a microscope?
That would be a true statement for a specific straw or ampule.  You could gauge the  tank as a whole by pulling a straw from the oldest cane and get an idea about the rest of the straws in storage, but its only a best guess.  I once had a used tank that came with some dairy semen on a not so good Holstein bull and I would pull a straw every once in a while and have the vet look at it to check the health of the rest of the semen.  I only did this because my tri-state rep at the time, who was my LN2 supplier, was not always  good about maintaining a schedule for filling the tank. In the case of this package that would not work considering the age of the semen for sale. Also, semen jockeyed around from auction to auction would also be suspect.  So, AJ, you are correct.  Also, Doc is correct regarding the volume of semen in an amp, but I have to agree with Justintime regarding the value of a package of single straws.  Thanks for everyone's input. Here is another question for my own info, is there much dairy in any of the bulls listed??

justintime

I have flushed several donors with semen that is 35-40 years old in the past couple of years. I always have it checked before it is used, and so far, I have not had a single dose rejected for being poor quality. I used some semen last year that was put into vials in 1961, so it was almost 50 years old. My ET vet said it was some of the strongest semen they had seen in years, and we had excellent results from the two flushes I used it on.

ploughshare

JIT, did the vet mention that it was due to a higher concentration or a better diluent or a larger volume?? Just curious.  Seems to me that the studs dilute more these days and also a larger volume would freeze and thaw better than 1/2 or 1/4 ml straws.

justintime

Glenstory said:
JIT, did the vet mention that it was due to a higher concentration or a better diluent or a larger volume?? Just curious.  Seems to me that the studs dilute more these days and also a larger volume would freeze and thaw better than 1/2 or 1/4 ml straws.

They said it was good because it was a much higher concentration of semen, along with a higher volume as well. I agree with you that some of today's studs stretch the semen out way too far, for my liking anyways. I guess it stands to reason, as they get paid on the number of straws they produce so it is human nature to try to make as many as possible.

I recently collected a bulls for our own use, and i specifically told the stud I wanted quality rather than quality. They froze 60 straws and they said that it would have made about 150 doses if I had not told them to do this. In this case, they did not lose any money for doing this, as they charge a flat fee for a collection of up to 300 doses. If there is anything I hate, it is someone telling me they got not pregnancies from the semen they purchased. That is why I always tell the stud to not bottle it unless it is flush quality.

Doc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't amps frozen on racks at an angle so the semen is slanted. All the ones I've used have been. On a side note I know that Dr's Hannon & Dixon have had real good results flushing with one straw.

shortyjock89

Doc said:
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't amps frozen on racks at an angle so the semen is slanted. All the ones I've used have been. On a side note I know that Dr's Hannon & Dixon have had real good results flushing with one straw.

Yeah they asked me if I only wanted to use one straw last time....I used two just because it was $25/straw...but if I ever get around to flushing to Sonny, I might only use one.

knabe

use the single units with in vitro.  get several cows flushed with only one unit.  split costs with multiple people.  everything is done in a petri dish so far less semen is needed, making extremely limited, old frazzled semen probably it's best use right now.  only downside is freezing rate of embryo's if not put in fresh.  i think the cell mass is at least double of regular ET, so the mass doesn't freeze as well.

cjd

Not to get off topic here, but does anyone know what it typically costs to do IVF?  Thanks!

Doc

knabe said:
use the single units with in vitro.  get several cows flushed with only one unit.  split costs with multiple people.  everything is done in a petri dish so far less semen is needed, making extremely limited, old frazzled semen probably it's best use right now.  only downside is freezing rate of embryo's if not put in fresh.  i think the cell mass is at least double of regular ET, so the mass doesn't freeze as well.

You are correct knabe about the 1 straw with IVF. But it has been my experience at this time that Trans Ova still doesn't have it worked out yet for the everyday guy with a normal budget. It will be a LONG time if ever before I do IVF again.

knabe

Doc said:
knabe said:

You are correct knabe about the 1 straw with IVF. But it has been my experience at this time that Trans Ova still doesn't have it worked out yet for the everyday guy with a normal budget. It will be a LONG time if ever before I do IVF again.

what about the other company in texas that zane is involved with?