Vension recipes

Help Support Steer Planet:

LN

We are going to harvest a lot of does for population control so I was wondering if anyone had any good venison recipes.

Thanks!

Cowboy

10 pound rump roast or similar large chunk of meat.

Season lightly with Lawrey's seasoned salt

Place on wire rack in electric smoker over "HICKORY" fat side up for 2.5 to 3 hours, don't be afraid to use plenty of the hichory chunks.

Remove and place in oven at 300 until fork tender. May take another couple hours or so, depends on age and size of raost.

You will never know it is venison -- can be sliced or pulled apart and used for sandwiches -- depending prefference, you can also add a good hearty BBQ sauce 30-45 minutes before done and finish cooking uncovered. I make sure there is at least 1/2 inch of liquid in pan to preserve any juices and prevent dryness. Venison is DRY any way.

GOOD STUFF

Terry

farwest

For the hamburger we ground about 7 per cent bacon ends from wal mart. Made really good burger.

sawboss

Venison Kabobs
Cube venison
Onion sections
Jalapeno wedges, quarter and remove seeds, fill with cream cheese
Whole mushrooms

Place meat, onions, mushrooms and filled jalapeno pieces on skewers and season with Tony Cachere's Creole seasoning.
Wrap completed Kabob with bacon and pin with toothpicks.  Marinate with a garlic butter sauce.
Cook over open fire "slowly" until bacon is done.  Turn often to avoid burning bacon.
The bacon will keep the venison moist and tender.

This recipe works well on elk and duck also.

Then again it is hard to beat chicken fried back strap.
Dip tenderized seasoned pieces into flour, then into buttermilk and one whisked egg, then back into flour for a heavy crust.
Fry in vegetable oil at 300 degrees until golden.  Make homemade gravy and biscuits, hard to beat.

harley

Had this the other night and it was fantastic.
Slice the loin in 1/4" slices
in a shallow dish, combine meat and enough milk to cover the meat.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-3 hours, drain and discard milk.  Cover with milk again and let stand at room temp for 1 hour.  Drain and discard milk and pat dry.  Mix flour, salt and pepper, dip meat shaking off excess and brown meat in butter.  Add 3/4 c. dry white wine and cook 2 min.  Remove meat from pan and put on a platter.  Add 2-3T fresh lemon juice,1/4c fresh parsley (snipped), and 1-2T capers (drained) to the pan with the wine in it.  Cook over med heat for 2 min stirring constantly and scraping the sides.  Pour this sauce over the venison and enjoy!

red

I am not a vension lover but have found that cooked w/ cream of mushroom soup, fried bacon in a crockpot isn't too bad for me.

Red

Davis Shorthorns

I have done chicken fried deer.  The no.1 thing to remember is never cook it past medium!!!!  Unless you are cooking it with a crock pot or some other way to keep it moist.  That goes for pretty much any wild game.  I like steaks just lightly seasoned and grilled or put in the oven under broil.  Also remember when you are cleaning the deer throw away all of the fat that you can from the deer.  That is where the gamy flavor comes from.  Also when we make burger we use about 10% beef fat. and when we are making sausage we use 10% pork fat.  Seems to work good for us we still have to add some fat when we are frying it. 

harley

Davis Shorthorns said:
I have done chicken fried deer.  The no.1 thing to remember is never cook it past medium!!!!  Unless you are cooking it with a crock pot or some other way to keep it moist.  That goes for pretty much any wild game.  I like steaks just lightly seasoned and grilled or put in the oven under broil.  Also remember when you are cleaning the deer throw away all of the fat that you can from the deer.  That is where the gamy flavor comes from.  Also when we make burger we use about 10% beef fat. and when we are making sausage we use 10% pork fat.  Seems to work good for us we still have to add some fat when we are frying it. 

Fat... on a deer??.....    :eek:  You must have better feed for them than we do, lol.  Of course it would help if we didn't trophy hunt instead of getting some of the tastier young'uns.  No matter what recipe we use to cook venison, we've found that soaking them in milk before hand, helps with the gamy flavor.  I agree with Red's cooking method also, crock pot with cream of mushroom served over rice is my second favorite.  We only cook the back strap... the rest is turned into jerky!  When we are making jerky the kids eat it almost as fast as I can dry it.

farmboy

harley said:
Davis Shorthorns said:

Fat... on a deer??.....    :eek:   You must have better feed for them than we do, lol.  Of course it would help if we didn't trophy hunt instead of getting some of the tastier young'uns.   No matter what recipe we use to cook venison, we've found that soaking them in milk before hand, helps with the gamy flavor.  I agree with Red's cooking method also, crock pot with cream of mushroom served over rice is my second favorite.  We only cook the back strap... the rest is turned into jerky!  When we are making jerky the kids eat it almost as fast as I can dry it.

down in here in so ohio deer are as fat as cattle. weve skinned two coons who were obese. we got fat wildlife down here....sure tastes good though  ;D

red

off topic Zach, but what are you going to do if Grissom leaves show for good?

Red

box6rranch

If you want to take out most of the gamy taste soak it in buttermilk overnight and you can use whatever recipe you want.