Very Confused

Help Support Steer Planet:

beefy08

Hi everyone, I'm new to the whole posting thing. I have six heifers with very different breeding backrounds and was wondering if you guys/ladies knew of one calving ease bull that would work on all of them. One is a purbred limousin, another is a Sin City out of a Draftpick cow, another is an Ali sired mainetainer, another a three-quarter maine out of Hard Core, a maine/simmi/angus Meyer grandaughter and last sired by Cunia 602. I could really use the help. 

bcosu

well, the responses you are going to get will be along the lines of "don't ruin a heifer the first time by trying to make something work, just get a live calf." the thing is, this is true. the bull i would use because of his calving ease would be northern improvement but he also tends to put a nice look in his calves and they aren't really just throw away calves. they aren't going to be the most impressive but if you do get heifer calves then they could probably be kept as replacements because he is still a decent bull.

clifflem

My vote would be for Northern Improvement (Angus).  We've used him on several heifers and haven't had any major problems with big calves.  They were also good cattle and some of them even showed.  There are also some Red Angus bulls that should work.

OH Breeder

NOrthern Improvement would work great on all of them.
Traveler t510 is also another one that puts some grow in them
Gizmo is super shorthorn calver. Ours have been amazing.
Jake's Proud Jazz makes pretty roan's ( we just had a first calf heifer drop 58#'er)

JCC

I would choose OCC Missing Link or another of Ohlde's bulls, these are along the same theme as Northern Improvement adding a little more guts and fleshing ability. One thing to remeber with Northern Improvement is that his sire is TC Stockman 365 who was a +4.?? for BW epd. The recessive in NI's pedigree could raise it's nasty head. JMO

steer-guy

I would look into Total Solution. We used him on our Show Heifer  and she had a outstanding baby heifer! 60 lb range.  If it was a steer we would be set up. We have had a lot of people wanting to buy her but we are planning on keeping her.

shortyjock89

coyote said:
You wont Bust her if you breed her Buster.

I saw that ad in the last "country", and I agree, he's a good CE bull.

I hope that in a couple years, I can tell you to use our bull, but time will tell.

TJ

coyote said:
You wont Bust her if you breed her Buster.

I just came up with a great idea after reading that...  ;D 

TMJ Show Cattle

Although I have preached Proud Jazz and Dirty Hairy for being calving ease bulls,I have to admit "TOTAL SOLUTION" is more consistant than ANY bull we have EVER used. Very few throw away's also. In fact I think he is the most under utilized bull on the market,be it for heifers or general production...John

steer-guy

has anyone used Orange Crush? Obviously you wouldn't use him on Heifers. Just curious since we used him and bred to a simmy cow. We will find out in September.

bjkoller

Would also be interested in hearing about Orange Crush.... and Mellow Yellow as well as they are both Charolais influenced!!!(clapping)  Mellow Yellow is out of Johnny Walker Red, which is one of the bulls that has been suggested for us to try on our cows.  Insight?

<cowboy>

VJ

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Although I have preached Proud Jazz and Dirty Hairy for being calving ease bulls,I have to admit "TOTAL SOLUTION" is more consistant than ANY bull we have EVER used. Very few throw away's also. In fact I think he is the most under utilized bull on the market,be it for heifers or general production...John
Do the TS calves grow? I've heard some reports he is really easy calving but they don't get very big. I've seen TS at the stud and he looks great but he's pretty short.

oakbar

Welcome to SP!!  You may get more help than you really need but the best advice so far is to just use a proven calving ease sire and get a live calf.  Then worry about all the rest down the road!!

aj

So many heifers are ruined on their first calf. The Olhde bull homer is the easiest calving bull I know of.