Vet Charges

Help Support Steer Planet:

johnmetzger

Just opened my vet bill. So I'm not real happy. I am a good customer as I spent over $7000.00 last year to this vet facillity. I had a scheduled appointment to have them stop by for a TB test and health paper on 2 heifers for entry to the Ohio Expo. Thats it. Didn't look at the horses , dogs or my wife. Just the two heifers. I dont think he was here for 20 min. This is the only lg. animal vet clinic in our area, so I cant get estimates on this type of work. My bill was $245.00. Is this a normal charge in todays day and age for a TB test and health paper for 2 heifers. Keep in mind I used to pay $250.00 for a C-section years ago.

DL

JDM said:
Just opened my vet bill. So I'm not real happy. I am a good customer as I spent over $7000.00 last year to this vet facillity. I had a scheduled appointment to have them stop by for a TB test and health paper on 2 heifers for entry to the Ohio Expo. Thats it. Didn't look at the horses , dogs or my wife. Just the two heifers. I dont think he was here for 20 min. This is the only lg. animal vet clinic in our area, so I cant get estimates on this type of work. My bill was $245.00. Is this a normal charge in todays day and age for a TB test and health paper for 2 heifers. Keep in mind I used to pay $250.00 for a C-section years ago.

TB testing is a real pain in the neck as it involves 2 trip fees and since it is regulatory work if you screw it up you can lose your accreditation. All that said $245 is much more than I charge to TB test and write health papers on 2 heifers -

however consider 2 things (1) how far away are you (ie does he have a mileage charge) - if you are 90 miles away and he has a one way  charge of 1 dollar a mile that is $180 for 2 trips  (2) is he a good vet and he comes when you need him?

I know of other vets who charge a similar amount - just because you spend a lot of money at the vet doesn't mean you should expect a discount  - you should talk to him 

johnmetzger

Im 12 miles from the vet. the clinic consist of 4 large animal vets. I scheduled the appointment for a thursday which is the day the have a reduced trip charge for my area. This is what the clinic advertises. They cover a large area and thursdays are our day for this area. You are correct as they did have to come back a second time which was sunday morning by the vet that lives 5 minutes 2 roads over from us.

kfacres

some vets have a 100 charge anytime they come to the farm...

the health paper things is getting out of control, especially if you get more than one page.  Last time I got some- it was 20 a page, and they insisted that each animal got its own paper when headed for a sale. 

of course- I screwed them over for many years while I was in 4H and they had the policy of free health papers for 4H and FfA members- what they didn't specify was that it was health papers for our fair-- not the whole year- and 4 or 5 sets on almost every animal-- or that i would be getting health papers on 100 sheep and 50 cows.

GoWyo

If you do not understand the amount of the charges or agree with the charges always make set up a time to talk about it.  Sometimes things get billed wrong, sometimes the vet or other professional will reconsider and decide maybe it was too much, etc.  If they stick to the bill as written, ask if there is a way to handle it in a less costly fashion next time.  Let the person know that you appreciate their expertise, but you need to find another way to get the work done -- maybe haul them to the clinic, etc.  It could be just a good old fashioned billing error.

DL

JDM said:
Im 12 miles from the vet. the clinic consist of 4 large animal vets. I scheduled the appointment for a thursday which is the day the have a reduced trip charge for my area. This is what the clinic advertises. They cover a large area and thursdays are our day for this area. You are correct as they did have to come back a second time which was sunday morning by the vet that lives 5 minutes 2 roads over from us.
[/quote]

Many times if a vet has to go anywhere to do anything after hours or on weekends there is an after hours or emergency fee - so if you scheduled to do TB testing on Thursday it must be read in 72 +/- 6 hours which pretty much makes it Sunday. And just because he lives 5 minutes from you doesn't mean he came from home or that charges aren't based on coming from the clinic or that he didn't come from 5o miles away.

Being able to do TB testing and write health certificates requires additional training beyond vet school and as part of the USDA animal health program there is a certain legal responsibility that comes with both TB testing and writing health certificates. The vet that injected the TB should be the one who read it on Sunday

If you aren't happy talk to him or them instead of stewing and posting  ;)

johnmetzger

The vet was my first call (voice mail) at 4:00 to explain my displeasure with the bill and I didn't even curse and it is 5 1/2 hrs later and no return call yet.

irishshorthorns

Ouch...That is expensive. I thought the mileage and call-out might be the cause but obviously not when they are that close.

twistedhshowstock

JDM said:
The vet was my first call (voice mail) at 4:00 to explain my displeasure with the bill and I didn't even curse and it is 5 1/2 hrs later and no return call yet.

Well if you called at 4:00 and got voicemail, you called at what is generally the busiest time for most vets.  I have been a vet tech for numerous years, most vets close at 5:30, and I can vouch that the last couple hours are ussually the busiest of the day.  Also consider that most vets, especially large animal vets, and their staff dont see quitting time until long after closing time.  If your call wasnt an emergency call, then I dont think you should expect a call back until normal business hours.  Just the way it works and you cant be mad about it.  I do think that is kind of pricey for that.  Is there a breakdown of the charges, or does the bill just say $245.00.  Any good vet is going to break down the charges, so that may help explain it. 
Here are my thoughts on a lot of the complaints I here about vets.  Everyone wants them to answer their calls immediately no matter when or why they call.  Your own human physician doesnt do this, you just have to go to the ER.  Unfortunately most vets dont have the pleasure of sending patients to an ER clinic, so they rarely ever get a full nights sleep and put in extremely long hours.  Everyone who goes to the vet  a lot expects them to give them a discount or drop everything and come to them at anytime. Rembember this is a business and how they make their living, and most large animal vets struggle to keep up with the bills.  I guarantee you spend more in a year at wal mart or the grocery store than you do at your vet in most cases, do those places give you disconts? Or drop everything to serve you?  I think the problem is  in general good vet clinics provide better customer service than almost any other business, thus we start to think of them as friends and expect favors.  I
As far as pricing it is getting more expensive for vets to practice, health papers, testing, all that is reglated by the state, and states are charging vets more for their end now, plus supplies, gas, everything is more expensive, businesses have no choice but to pass those things on to their clients.

ferkj

JDM said:

Keep in mind also this is Saturday(the weekend) and most people don't work 24/7 unless you're like me trying to support 2 ex-wives and 5 kids but that's a whole different topic. Drink a few beers, calm down and then Monday morning call in to the office and ask for the office/business manager or who is in charge of the billing and politely ask for an explaintion on why the bill is what it is.  If your bill for the same type of work in the past was much different it may just be an error.  I remember years ago i was billed for an entire bottle of Micotil instead of a single dose and about exploded when the bill came.  Thank god i didn't call in then but when i did call they were more than sorry and made it right.  Humans do make mistakes but they can be corrected.  Be calm, explain your side and see what say.  It's easier not to burn a bridge than it is to build a new one.

DL

twistedhshowstock said:
JDM said:

Well if you called at 4:00 and got voicemail, you called at what is generally the busiest time for most vets.  I have been a vet tech for numerous years, most vets close at 5:30, and I can vouch that the last couple hours are ussually the busiest of the day.  Also consider that most vets, especially large animal vets, and their staff dont see quitting time until long after closing time.  If your call wasnt an emergency call, then I dont think you should expect a call back until normal business hours.  Just the way it works and you cant be mad about it.  I do think that is kind of pricey for that.  Is there a breakdown of the charges, or does the bill just say $245.00.  Any good vet is going to break down the charges, so that may help explain it. 
Here are my thoughts on a lot of the complaints I here about vets.  Everyone wants them to answer their calls immediately no matter when or why they call.  Your own human physician doesnt do this, you just have to go to the ER.  Unfortunately most vets dont have the pleasure of sending patients to an ER clinic, so they rarely ever get a full nights sleep and put in extremely long hours.  Everyone who goes to the vet  a lot expects them to give them a discount or drop everything and come to them at anytime. Rembember this is a business and how they make their living, and most large animal vets struggle to keep up with the bills.  I guarantee you spend more in a year at wal mart or the grocery store than you do at your vet in most cases, do those places give you disconts? Or drop everything to serve you?  I think the problem is  in general good vet clinics provide better customer service than almost any other business, thus we start to think of them as friends and expect favors.  I
As far as pricing it is getting more expensive for vets to practice, health papers, testing, all that is reglated by the state, and states are charging vets more for their end now, plus supplies, gas, everything is more expensive, businesses have no choice but to pass those things on to their clients.

and that twisted is the truth - I would also suggest that if you want your vet to come out in the middle of the night or skip a herd check to deal with your emergency - would be smart to give them your gravy work

kfacres

twistedhshowstock said:

I've been called an arrogant ******** before- but don't you think they expect this- before going to school for 9 years, or before they open up business..  I mean- it is their job- and if they don't want woke up in the middle of the night to do a C Section-- don't offer those services: simplify turn the customer away and tell them to go elsewhere. 

When I hear someone is a plumber- i expect them to be good with pipes, when I hear someone is a electrician = they'd better know hot and cold wires- and how to make a 4 way switch work.. when I hear about a vet that isn't on call 24/7== they're not up to par.

In terms of spending money at the vets:  You'd be surprised what our family pays- 3 species of livestock, plus dogs and whatever else...  I bet the vet is close to our number 1 money spic-it (right behind the feed bill).   

DL

Cut the BS said:
I've been called an arrogant dumb a$$ before- but don't you think they expect this- before going to school for 9 years, or before they open up business..  I mean- it is their job- and if they don't want woke up in the middle of the night to do a C Section-- don't offer those services: simplify turn the customer away and tell them to go elsewhere. 

When I hear someone is a plumber- i expect them to be good with pipes, when I hear someone is a electrician = they'd better know hot and cold wires- and how to make a 4 way switch work.. when I hear about a vet that isn't on call 24/7== they're not up to par.

In terms of spending money at the vets:  You'd be surprised what our family pays- 3 species of livestock, plus dogs and whatever else...  I bet the vet is close to our number 1 money spic-it (right behind the feed bill).   

Yes BS you have been called all sorts of things, but you must admit I never called you anything but BS (which I gather is your taken name :)) but, before you get your knickers in a knot get your facts straight  ;) Vet school is 4 years. Some get into vet school after 2 years of undergrad, some after 3, and some after 4. After 6 to 8 years of school the average debt for a veterinarian is well over 100K - could look it up but is often close to 200KI - that is a huge amount of money. Most recent grads do not open up a business they work for someone else - the someone else sets the rules. I suspect most do not expect the amount of call required of a rural vet, I also suspect that the reality of life as a rural vet is why there is an acute shortage of vets in rural areas.

You would also be surprised at the number of people who
- call in the middle of the night because they are worried about the cow (the horse, the dog, the calf whatever) who has had this problem for a week but they thought it should be taken care of (REALLY?)
-the number of people who drag and pull and mess and screw up a dystocia for 4 or 5 hours and then when the calf is dead want you to come right out now at 3 am to do a c section when if they had called earlier before they had created havoc you could have delivered the calf
-the number of people who don't understand how to feed cattle and then when the cows start going down at the end of gestation and delivering dead calves want you to fix it now but didn't listen to your advise when it would have made a difference
-the number of people the vet doesn't know, doesn't provide any services for and yet they are mad when you don't rush right out to their place or provide a diagnosis over the phone (that is cheaper you know)
-etc

-And BTW if I open a business I define "what my job is" not you

kfacres

Well I suppose that's all up to the individual making that business.. but if you tinker off too many people- you might be restricted to the number of customers... 

All part of the job I guess.. pick which windows to shatter, and which butterflys to make..

twistedhshowstock

Cut the BS said:
twistedhshowstock said:

I've been called an arrogant dumb a$$ before- but don't you think they expect this- before going to school for 9 years, or before they open up business..  I mean- it is their job- and if they don't want woke up in the middle of the night to do a C Section-- don't offer those services: simplify turn the customer away and tell them to go elsewhere. 

I am not saying that vets dont expect it, or even that they mind it.  What I am talking about are the customers that bitxh and complain and will trash a vet because they arent happy with their service when that is what they arent happy abot.  Yes most rral, large animal vets and their staff expect long hors, to be on call, and to be called out in the middle of the night most nights.  They dont mind it.  But people complain when they call their vet on their emergency number or personal number to complain about a bill after hours and their call isnt returned immediately.  Come on now, if it was an emergency and yor call wasnt returned immediately then yes there is a complaint, bt not yor bill.  And even if vets expect their life to be crazy, customers have to have some understanding to.  I promise you that you are not your vets only customer, they cant build their practice and their schedule around you.  If a vet sees an emergency and isnt able to save it you can almost guarantee they will get the blame most of the  time, when as said earlier if the client would have called or brought the animal in the day it got hit by a car instead of waiting a few days for the bleeding to stop or for the shattered leg to miraculously heal itself, then we may have been able to do something.  Or if you wold have fed your cattle like we recomended they wouldnt have starved to death, but regardless its always going to be our fault.  And everyone complains about price, and thinks we should just do all the work because its an emergency or life threatening, and we shold do it on credit because you cant afford it, and oh just think of the poor suffering animal.  Well here is a news flash, all those drgs and supplies we used cost a LOT of money, the staff that helped wont take an IOU on their paychecks, and all that time we would spend working on your animal could have been spent working for a paying customer.  I am not saying that most people wouldnt make good on their debt, but this society has proven that to many wont.  Its to big a risk.

I am not saying that vets dont expect it, what I am saying is clients need to be more understanding.  They will trash talk and cause grief to their vet or vet clinics because they arent happy that the vet didnt call them back immediately to anser a breeding or vaccination question, not thinking about the fact that the vet may have been in the middle of working on a dog hit by a car or doing some type of life threatening emergency.  Its just the way it is.  If you dont agree with that then yes, you are an arrogant a hole

farmboy

DL said:
Yes BS you have been called all sorts of things, but you must admit I never called you anything but BS (which I gather is your taken name :)) but, before you get your knickers in a knot get your facts straight  ;) Vet school is 4 years. Some get into vet school after 2 years of undergrad, some after 3, and some after 4. After 6 to 8 years of school the average debt for a veterinarian is well over 100K - could look it up but is often close to 200KI - that is a huge amount of money. Most recent grads do not open up a business they work for someone else - the someone else sets the rules. I suspect most do not expect the amount of call required of a rural vet, I also suspect that the reality of life as a rural vet is why there is an acute shortage of vets in rural areas.

You would also be surprised at the number of people who
- call in the middle of the night because they are worried about the cow (the horse, the dog, the calf whatever) who has had this problem for a week but they thought it should be taken care of (REALLY?)
-the number of people who drag and pull and mess and screw up a dystocia for 4 or 5 hours and then when the calf is dead want you to come right out now at 3 am to do a c section when if they had called earlier before they had created havoc you could have delivered the calf
-the number of people who don't understand how to feed cattle and then when the cows start going down at the end of gestation and delivering dead calves want you to fix it now but didn't listen to your advise when it would have made a difference
-the number of people the vet doesn't know, doesn't provide any services for and yet they are mad when you don't rush right out to their place or provide a diagnosis over the phone (that is cheaper you know)
-etc

-And BTW if I open a business I define "what my job is" not you

This information would be useful. WHat sort of wizardry do i H ave to use to pull this off?