vet question: difference in bacterial vs. viral pneumonia

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmin female

How can a layman tell the difference in bacterial vs. viral pneunomia and which drugs work best in each case.  Thanks.

OH Breeder

In humans bacterial pneumonia is more virulent and can be more deadly. Rarely would you give antibiotics for a viral pneumonia. Viral usually run their course and we treat the symptoms. The only way to tell the true difference in what type of bacteria is to do a a culture. After a culture is done you can isolate an organism and focus the type of antibioitic to use.
You will see a pronounced difference in the symptoms bacterial being more severe usually.

goose

I have never been able to tell for sure whether I am dealing with a viral or bacterial pneumonia.  I have heard how high the temp is can give you an idea, not in my experience.  If you have an individual animal just treat with an antibiotic, a little different if you have a group of calves that are sick.

Does not matter to me whether it is viral or bacterial, I would treat each one with antibiotics in cattle.  Antibiotics HAVE NO EFFECT on viral infections, but viral infections in cattle have a tendancy to set up bacterial infections in cattle.  When I first started out I did not use much in the way of anti-inflammtories (ie Banamine) but as I have changed my thoughts on that.  There is even a product now that has both in one shot.

Latest posts