Vita ferm question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Was wondering on those of you that use Concept Aid, do you feed salt also? If so do you just put out a white salt block or what?

ejoe326

If they are overconsuming for more than a few days then I put out salt.  Otherwise I do not.

We have tried it both ways and if on the regular Vita Ferm they usually leave the salt.  On the Concept Aid they will eat a little more salt but not much.

My cows seem to want salt in the fall more than any other time of the year. 

afhm

Has anyone seen a noticeable increase in conception using this product?  Thinking about trying it but was sure if it was legit or not.  How long do you have to have the cattle on it?  Thanks.

ejoe326

While we didn't have serious chronic health issues or awful conception I do think it helps.  Of course there are too many variables for me to chalk it up to that alone.

We use Concept Aid from February until November then switch to the regular mineral. We bump it up generally from March through May with CTC then will go back in with CTC again if necessary for pink eye concerns.

This is our 3rd or 4th year on all VitaFerm.  The cost vs. benefit is a bit cloudy.  This is one of those feeling things that might be more for my benefit than theirs!

All that being said I am going to try a control group that get Multi Min and a less expensive complete mineral and see what happens next year.

Plus this is one of my justifications for weigh bars for the Stampede. :)

tanbarkguy

This is our first year feeding it to all groups of cows and it appears like it worked well.  The cost also is a factor as I that concerns me, but if it gets more cows, especially the 2 year olds, it will be worth it.
We put out a couple of salt blocks with it to help keep consumption at the correct level. The hi iodine blocks are what we use year round with it

firesweepranch

We started feeding it about 3 weeks ago, and put out stock salt with it. We have gone through 50 pounds of the Concept Aide a week, and about 25 pounds of the stock salt a week, so they are eating both. Both are in the mineral feeder, on different ends. Our conceptions were sub par last year, not sure if it was the drought or what, but I am trying something different. We are also planning on giving the Multi Min to all recips and the donor we are flushing this fall, so we should be set!
Now if we could just get a few of those embryo calves to be heifers.... I will feel like it is worth it! So far, all 4 embryo calves have been BULLS! No more embryos till January, just AI calves left...

Cowboy

I have only fed Vita-Ferm for the last 30 years. Period.

I use only the Concept-aid in the donor pen year round on those open cows. I feed/offer block salt with it. Do not mix your mineral with loose salt -- not meant to be that way.

In the cow herd, I start offering Concept-Aid about 6 weeks ahead of calving, and as soon as they get within 30 days, they stop eating anything BUT Concept-Aid. Offer this to them until they are for certain bred, and you will notice they quit eating the Concept-Aid and go for the Cow-Calf 5 or Roughage Fortifier instead. They just don't need the high end stuff when pregnant.

Cows can not talk, so we have to listen to them by their actions. If they do need something, they will usually not eat it. Test em, offer your normal mineral along side Concept-Aid and watch what they tell you. It takes about 30-45 days to get them up to snuff once offered, so be patient. As in everything we do, you only get OUT what you put IN -- in other words, we only get what we pay for. A few cents a day more is well worth the end result.

Donors that come here from all over the country flock to the mineral feeder for 2-3 weeks after arrival and then level off. Every flush we do after they get here is better than the last -- so go figure!

Use Vita-Ferm products as directed and you won't be sorry -- and don't worry if they are eating more than the bag says, they need it or they won't eat it!

Have a good day all -- Terry

Davis Shorthorns

I started using concept aid this year especially with the donor females.  We will see if it helps here soon.

MOClubbyGuy

As a Vita-Ferm Dealer and user of the products religiously for maximum results. I agree 100% with Cowboy on his statement. Use it how it has been researched to be used for max results. Offer a salt block but dont add free range salt to mineral. Mineral is something not worth skimping on quality. Feed to best, get the best!

Cowboy said:
I use only the Concept-aid in the donor pen year round on those open cows. I feed/offer block salt with it. Do not mix your mineral with loose salt -- not meant to be that way.

In the cow herd, I start offering Concept-Aid about 6 weeks ahead of calving, and as soon as they get within 30 days, they stop eating anything BUT Concept-Aid. Offer this to them until they are for certain bred, and you will notice they quit eating the Concept-Aid and go for the Cow-Calf 5 or Roughage Fortifier instead. They just don't need the high end stuff when pregnant.

Cows can not talk, so we have to listen to them by their actions. If they do need something, they will usually not eat it. Test em, offer your normal mineral along side Concept-Aid and watch what they tell you. It takes about 30-45 days to get them up to snuff once offered, so be patient. As in everything we do, you only get OUT what you put IN -- in other words, we only get what we pay for. A few cents a day more is well worth the end result.

Donors that come here from all over the country flock to the mineral feeder for 2-3 weeks after arrival and then level off. Every flush we do after they get here is better than the last -- so go figure!

Use Vita-Ferm products as directed and you won't be sorry -- and don't worry if they are eating more than the bag says, they need it or they won't eat it!

Have a good day all -- Terry

Latest posts