Vita Ferm Sure Champ pellets ??

Help Support Steer Planet:

rtmcc

Does anybody have experience with this product??  Likes and dislikes.  I am going to try it on the heifers thru the winter.  Just wondering what every ones else experience is with it.

Thanks for your input!

Ron
<cowboy>

feeder duck

I had fed them for the last two years. I like them but they can be a bit costly. I fed two heifers last year for about 7 months. I pulled them off at about 30 days before our local fair. Really did not see any feed intake,hair or bloom change. I just feel like they are rather costly for the return. When feeding show animals in a crap economy I had to cut a few cost or adjust somewhere. I have started this years heifer on Calf Manna and really feel like I have seen a change in hair quality and bloom. They have a rewards program as well which is small but nice.

I WILL SAY I USE NOTHING BUT VITA FIRM MINERAL. I have tried others and the intake by my cows seem to drop. I have fed Vita Firm C. C. 5 and Concept Aid for the last 10 years and swear by it.

Jeff
www.showsteers.com/cornell

rtmcc

Thanks for the input.  I sure know what you mean about trying to save $$$.  The cost compared to Calf Manna looked  up here.

Any other opinions?

aggiegal

We have fed it for last four years and wouldn't go without it.  We feed it in combination with the Progest 30 (daily probiotic) from the same company.  I think of it more as a vitamin/minieral supplement than a hair supplement---but it does seem to help with overall hair/skin condition.  We use TASCO too, so I think our hair growth is more a result of that.  I can also say we've never had a calf that was fed Sure Champ  go off feed in 4 years---which goes a long way to proving its worth.
We tried Show Bloom and some others, but this seems to work the best for us.  It is costly ($26/50# bag) but we feel it's worth the expense.

showsteerdlux

We've used it a little, and I can agree with the previous comment about calves not going off feed while on it. Also $26/bag is pretty cheap when you're only feeding about 4/oz/head/day if I aint mistaken ( aint had anything in the barn since summer). Very impressed overall, and we're trying to start adding it to the creep feeder for both show calves and commercial herd to see how it helps.

showsteerdlux

Ok, my bad, like I said aint fed it since the summer, still works out to about $0.50/day, pretty cheap in the long run.

creativecattle

I do know that 88% of all the Champions and Reserve Division and Overall Champions at Hereford Junior Nationals were on a Sure Champ or Vita Ferm product, and over 60% at Angus, but I haven't fed it myself, so the above posts might give you more insight.

angus88

I know I'm a little late replying to this, but I have used Sure Champ for the past year and a half, I really like it compared to other things I have used.  I even put it with the creep feed for the calves.  I haven't had a single show animal go off feed with it, and I do notice a little more bloom to them, mostly I see that they utilize all the feed that they are given. I also feed Calf Mana with it and tasco.  I have used power fuel by purina, and show bloom before, I spent more with those than I have in comparison with the Sure Champ.  I'm not sure any of this helped you out, just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.  :)

ck

kobo_ranch

Does anyone know what the shelf life of SURE CHAMP is?  In the bag?  One of my feed stores has some but its on the aging side... he hasn't said.  I bought one bag and no bugs or anything, smelled ok but color seemed a bit darker than fresh?  Anyway just wondering.  Think he's willing to deduct the regular price but not sure if would still not be worth it being older.

lightnin4

Costwise--if you can buy it in 50 lb. bags its much cheaper than the 35lb bucket.  I pay around $22 per50lb bag from my Vita Ferm dealer and I think Sullivan's sells the bucket for over $40---big difference!

GONEWEST

For me they are like insurance. If it works you don't ever know it.  I use it to keep the digestive system and appetite going. If you keep show cattle on a high grain ration for a long period of time you need something like this to keep the digestive system working and working well in the case of show cattle. The amneferm (sp) does that for us.

Bradenh

we use it to help wean steers and get them on feed. its the best "pushing" item we have ever used. come time to hold a calf or put fat on him. we dont use it but thats just us. always use the minerals though

reno1014

I just got this thread on Facebook....I have a cool story to share.  We purchased a calf in June that had ringworm pretty bad on his face and a few here and there on his body.  He was small but had great structure and was very good on his feet.  I would say UGLY was correct.  We tried lots of stuff to get him to "take off".  Radale Tiner posted something about Vita Firm on FB so I looked it up and bought some Sure Champ.  It cost 20.00 a 50lb bag and I fed as directed for 30 days.  I also treated his ring worm with a topical.  This calf didnt even look like the same one we brought home.  He gained weight, his hair actually grew, and he ate everything.  Button (our calf) has the shiniest black hair I have ever had on a steer and we live in West Texas where its HOT and the dirt is dry.  I think it makes the feed more efficient, as we had to hold him for awhile because he actually outgrew calves three months older than him.  This has been my experience with Vita Firm, I would recommend it.

pds

We have used for a few years on steers and heifers and noticed the same as others with them not going off feed. We have also notice better heat cycle in the show heifers and easier to get them stuck AI the first time.

Bradenh

reno1014 said:
I just got this thread on Facebook....I have a cool story to share.  We purchased a calf in June that had ringworm pretty bad on his face and a few here and there on his body.  He was small but had great structure and was very good on his feet.  I would say UGLY was correct.  We tried lots of stuff to get him to "take off".  Radale Tiner posted something about Vita Firm on FB so I looked it up and bought some Sure Champ.  It cost 20.00 a 50lb bag and I fed as directed for 30 days.  I also treated his ring worm with a topical.  This calf didnt even look like the same one we brought home.  He gained weight, his hair actually grew, and he ate everything.  Button (our calf) has the shiniest black hair I have ever had on a steer and we live in West Texas where its HOT and the dirt is dry.  I think it makes the feed more efficient, as we had to hold him for awhile because he actually outgrew calves three months older than him.  This has been my experience with Vita Firm, I would recommend it.
radale is our rep. great guy we love him and he knows his stuff!. that concept aid mineral will do a huge part in making your cows take when it comes breeding time

rtmcc

Its been a little over a year since I started this thread.  We have been using Sure Champ right along and have switched all the young stock over to Vita Ferm products and are working on switching the cows also.  I love the product!  It sure seems to make them more efficient as far as feed conversion and great appetites and bloom.

I would recommend it to anybody.  Lot of people say they have the new secret formula.  Vita Ferm has been around fora long time and used by some of the legends in the  industry.

Ron
<cowboy>