Walks Alone???

Help Support Steer Planet:

SPL

I noticed that Walks Alone is carried by ABS now.  I have heard the semen quality has been questionable, but would you trust the semen if it comes from ABS?

Bulldaddy

ABS s pretty picky about semen quality.  I have heard they have had problems with some club calf semen in the past so it makes sense that they would evaluate a straw or two before offering it to their customer base.

Hoosier

I have had several conversations about the club calf semen quality with my local ABS rep (who also happens to be the new sire acquisition person) and although they don't collect most of the clubby bulls that they have available, they do test semen on a regular basis to ensure it is of good quality, regardless of where it was collected.  I wouldn't be scared to use it, and most likely will use some next year.

ROAD WARRIOR

Hoosier said:
I have had several conversations about the club calf semen quality with my local ABS rep (who also happens to be the new sire acquisition person) and although they don't collect most of the clubby bulls that they have available, they do test semen on a regular basis to ensure it is of good quality, regardless of where it was collected.  I wouldn't be scared to use it, and most likely will use some next year.

Ask him when they're going to get some usable Red Angus bulls! RW

WFCC

we use abs semen and they breed our cows. it has all be excellent quality.  I am going to be use walks alone from abs next spring so i am in the same boat. 

ploughshare

Hoosier is correct.  If you look at the cane codes most of the clubby semen is collected by other studs.  ABS semen is usually high quality so I would not fear ABS represented semen.  THe 54 in his cane code indicates that the semen ABS is selling was collected at Hawkeye Breeders in Adel, IA

jbh

We're selling two really nice pregnant recips carrying "WALKS ALONE" x 301 Donor matings in this years NO BULL Bred Heifer sale on  Nov. 28th. 

301 is a th free Warhorse x DeBull x HOT COFFEE.

One of the recips is a smoke cow about 8 yrs old that I've flushed before and raised our top selling Bred one year at $9500.  The other recip is a Heat Seeker out of the Ms. Henthorn Meyer donor that is about 5 yrs old and a really good looking cow and mother.

CAB

I think that there is a basket of 3 embryos for sale today in the Donors On Ice sale, Louisville,Ky., Walks Alone X  Irish Whiskey/Angus, Chance Fergeson's heifer from a year ago.

VJ

Glenstory said:
Hoosier is correct.  If you look at the cane codes most of the clubby semen is collected by other studs.  ABS semen is usually high quality so I would not fear ABS represented semen.  THe 54 in his cane code indicates that the semen ABS is selling was collected at Hawkeye Breeders in Adel, IA
Walks Alone spent all last spring at Nichols not Hawkeye. Better check your cane code on your WA semen. Jay does a great job and never freezes anything but superior quality semen. If it comes from Nichols, it will be high quality.

bluffcountrycattle

Walks Alone spent all last spring at Nichols not Hawkeye. Better check your cane code on your WA semen. Jay does a great job and never freezes anything but superior quality semen. If it comes from Nichols, it will be high quality.
[/quote]

I've got some pictures of Walks Alone at Hawkeye taken May 7th...so I know he was there at least one day!   ;)

cytime

Actually he was at nichols for a while this spring, but then got pulled and placed at hawkeye because nichols wouldn't freeze his semen because it didn't meet their requirments..

ploughshare

Look for a cane code beginning with 137 for the  Nichols Cryo-Genetics collected semen.

vet tech

Does anyone know what the embryos by Walks Alone brought in the Donors on Ice Sale? It was Lot 30A.