Wanted good winter boot & socks that stay up!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

My favorite winter boots have sprung a leak!  :p Now, if I step in any slop or snow drift I get wet socks. HATE THAT!
Also my socks never seem to stay up in my boots. They always end up bunched around my arch or the balls of my feet.

What are some good winter boots? I need something that I can pull on & off easily & that is insulated. Any one know of good socks? DL gave me a name last year but I can't find it.

Also- what is the outdoor hockey game on 1/1/08? I think it's the Sabres vs the Pengiuns?

Red

Cowboy

Hey Red, I wear 15 inch high western boots almost all the time, in winter I lower my standards to 17 invh high rubber boots, and yes they do "Suck" hehehe -- but they are dry.

If you want to get some socks that NEVER fall down, no matter what -- slide into Wallmart and go to the mens section. Look for "Wilson - over the calf" socks. These are primarily white with black heels and toes. Double stiched, soft, thick!

I have tested these things for every kind of hard use you can give em, and even though they have gradually gotten cheaper made over the years, and have changed styles a little -- they can take it and keep on tickin! hehehe

They come 6 to a pack -- well worth any cost -- believe me! Most people today are forced - by choice - to get those ankle high or mid calf -- about all they make for the atheletes. But us Cowboys need something more substantial -- I absolutely HATE socks that fall down -- ever ride a horse with your socks around your ankles -- it will give you a new meaning of blisters!!!

Go get ya some -- you won't be sorry --the wife and kids all have the same ones -- we just number pairs for me, letter pairs for her -- and use whatever other ID we can for the kids. Hey it works -- and your pairs never get mixed up. Use a big black majic marker -- by the time the number comes off, the socks are worn out!!!

How in heck did I get on THIS subject ???????????????

Merry Christmas

Terry

Jill

I wear mucks (the thicker ones) year round, they are water proof and keep my feet plenty warm.

aj

I have had two feedlot pen riders tell me they wear cowboy boots in the the winter(you know one them cowboy...Lester) they claim if their feet never sweat their feet never get cold. Lester would set his boots outside during the night so they wouldn't warm up. They pull them on just before they go out and saddle up. I've seen those guys ride pens in 5 degree weather. Tough guys on good horses. I worked in a feedlot 6 months driving a feed truck. I know I used to roll down the window in my heated truck and wave at the crazy guys. I do know when your feet get wet it is over.

common sense

Well I have to say that I bought a pair of Justin lace-up work boots last year. They are gore-tex lined and easily the warmest I have next to my 130 degree below snow boots.  However, I get tired of lacing so seem to go right back to my twisted X with over shoes.  Even after several frotsbite episodes years ago I seem to get along great with my nice leather boots and dry socks.  I agree with Cowboy. I leave my boots out in the garage most of the time and even when I put my feet into those cold leather boots I don't have a problem with cold feet.  I wear warm socks but I make sure my boots aren't too tight with them on.  You have to have air circulation going on too.

I think I have given up my old reliable insulated Carhartts too!  I tried out the new Carhartt waterproof/weatherproof gear and so far I am sold on them.  THe pants are like the slicker pants that everyone wears to wash cattle but heavier and with suspenders.  They zip all the way down or up both legs and have snaps on the bottom for extra snugness.  They completely cut the wind, are much lighter than the old Carhartts and they stay completely dry but the best part is that I never get sweaty in them like the rain pants.  They are incredible...and they come in TALLS too!!! (clapping)

Doc

I just bought a pair of Justins' (pull on ropers) from the George Strait collection that are waterproof & they are the deal. Goretex lined & waterproof. I bought them 2 days before I went to L'ville & never had problem with breaking in.
I wear Magellan socks I buy at Academy Sports & have been very pleased with how well they stay up & how comfortable they are. They stay up even if I have to wear knee boots.

garybob

red said:
My favorite winter boots have sprung a leak!  :p Now, if I step in any slop or snow drift I get wet socks. HATE THAT!
Also my socks never seem to stay up in my boots. They always end up bunched around my arch or the balls of my feet.

What are some good winter boots? I need something that I can pull on & off easily & that is insulated. Any one know of good socks? DL gave me a name last year but I can't find it.

Also- what is the outdoor hockey game on 1/1/08? I think it's the Sabres vs the Pengiuns?

Red
WalMart also sells, in th eMen's Dept., Socks by Hanes, that have the Heel 'n Toe thing, I'd buy the "Crew" length.

I really miss my "Umbwe Trail" by Rockport. Never had numb toes. The Hydro-shield was just as good as Gore-Tex, in my opinion.
GB

hairy

Red:  The best winter boots I have ever had are called "Muck Chore Boots".  They slip on easily are warm and waterproof.  I
          purchased mine at Tractor Supply.  Try them, you will love them.

shortyjock89

hairy said:
Red:  The best winter boots I have ever had are called "Muck Chore Boots".  They slip on easily are warm and waterproof.  I
           purchased mine at Tractor Supply.  Try them, you will love them.

Oh yes, we have some of those Muck boots and they are good. The best part is that they keep your feet bone dry and warm.  Probably the best mud boots out there.

Turkey Creek Ranch

Our entire family wear Bog boots, They work very well, keep your feet nice and cozy, and are plenty high to keep water and snow out.

A good pair of cowboy boots works well too

KDSC

Cowboy said:
If you want to get some socks that NEVER fall down, no matter what -- slide into Wallmart and go to the mens section. Look for "Wilson - over the calf" socks. These are primarily white with black heels and toes. Double stiched, soft, thick!
i will second the wilso socks.  they are freakin sweet He He He  and i will also second the muck chore boots(expensive but well worth, keep your feet warm, fit snug so stuff aint always fallin in them) and they dont crack like other rubber boot, normally thye last about 2 weeks of wear,  we have three pairs of the muck boots and everyone is fighting for at chore time

red

I tried on the Muck boots at TSC. They didn't have them in my size though. I'll have to go back.

Red

showsteerdlux

I like and prefer any of the Danner boots and they just came out with a pull on that has gore tex and is insulated. I think that it is 12' high. As far as socks the Carhartts are always a reliable option. Also those Lacrosse Burly boots are nice.

farmboy

wolverines with thinsulate, best boots i ever had, their just right in terms of insulation, not to hot in the summer, plenty warm in the winter, and comfortable

sunny

Hey Red, I am from PA, so probably have similar weather to deal with.  I don't have any luck with leather boots - it's just always too wet here.  The best I've found are the Muck hoser style.  They come in several heights, are extremely lightweight, warm and comfortable.  I buy them a size larger than my shoes to allow room for heavy socks, and ease in getting them on and off my arthritic feet!  Do a search, you can buy them lots of places.  I order mine at the local feed store, a bit pricey, but worth it.  Best part is in warmer weather you can just roll the tops down to let a little more air circulate.  As for socks, the best I have are calf high ski socks.  They are probably more expensive than I would ever pay for socks, but they were a Christmas gift last year, and really fit perfect and warm!  I save them for the coldest days - don't want to wear them out too soon!!!  Good Luck on the boot search  :D