Wanted: OLD shorthorn semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

Endless Meadows

Hey everyone,

I am interested in flushing some of my cows to some OLD shorthorn bulls, 60's and 70's style.  The biggest problem I have is that I have NO CLUE where to begin looking for semen.  Does anyone have some they are interested in selling, know someone that does, or could provide me with some information to help me get started.  Thanks a BUNCH!

Easy

Why are you looking to go that old? Most semen that old is either going to be really expensive(the only reason they have kept it) or no good!! Semen that is over fifteen to twenty years old, even if stored in nitrogen, is usually no good!!! Not to mention that stuff that old is going to be in ampules and not straws which take a lot more equipment, time, and experience. I know i use to work at a semen collection facility!! Let me know if you want any newer bulls like from the 90's!!
Sorry i couldnt help on the old stuff!!

shortyjock89

Easy said:
Why are you looking to go that old? Most semen that old is either going to be really expensive(the only reason they have kept it) or no good!! Semen that is over fifteen to twenty years old, even if stored in nitrogen, is usually no good!!! Not to mention that stuff that old is going to be in ampules and not straws which take a lot more equipment, time, and experience. I know i use to work at a semen collection facility!! Let me know if you want any newer bulls like from the 90's!!

Sorry, I can't really agree with you on the whole "no good after 15 or 20 years"....there are some folks on here who are using 40 year old semen, and showing the calves, and placing at the top of their classes at national shows.  I agree that some of the old school bulls are dated and not really viable today...but bulls like Coronet Leader 21 and Leader 9 have kind of made a come back. 

ShowmanQ

Easy said:

??? You had better lead a seminar on those thoughts. There are several breeders on here and scattered all over the world ( myseld included) that did not know you could not get good calves out of 20 year old semen. I do not work at a semen collection facility, but we own a cow with a guy that just bred a group of heifers to a bull that he owned and has been dead for 35 years.

Endless Meadows

I have gotten some feedback and found a few bulls that sparked some interest.  I'm not sure if they were even collected but some of the bulls I am looking for include:

Bapton Constructor
Scotsdale Radium
Scotsdale Mandate
Aberfeldy Field Marshall
Colomeadow Sting Ray
Denend Constellation
Clipper King USA

I would also be interested in others not listed as well.  Thanks again

Doc

Endless Meadows said:
I have gotten some feedback and found a few bulls that sparked some interest.  I'm not sure if they were even collected but some of the bulls I am looking for include:

Bapton Constructor
Scotsdale Radium
Scotsdale Mandate
Aberfeldy Field Marshall
Colomeadow Sting Ray
Denend Constellation
Clipper King USA

I would also be interested in others not listed as well.  Thanks again

You might try Larry or Brian Kohlstaedt in MO on the Clipper King semen. I think either he or a friend of his has some.

OH Breeder

Easy said:

Hate to tell you, but a gentleman I know used semen that was 40 years old and had no problems. Settled a cow and got a very nice heifer. Check in with JIT on old semen and then look at his webpage. You will see few TPS 21st which is 1968=40yrs old.
As others said, not all were home runs, but I think some of the genetics could lend a hand to the cattle today.

I did PM you Endless Meadows.

Tooker

Endless Meadows said:
Hey everyone,

I am interested in flushing some of my cows to some OLD shorthorn bulls, 60's and 70's style.  The biggest problem I have is that I have NO CLUE where to begin looking for semen.  Does anyone have some they are interested in selling, know someone that does, or could provide me with some information to help me get started.  Thanks a BUNCH!
Hello,
I have some great bulls from the 70's! WO Dividend 3J "LEGGS", and 2 full brother's of his. You have seen both of them in some great pedigree's as well. LEN RU TA LEADER & HIGH OCTANE. The semen is in my dad's tank and came directly from WO. Semen tank has been maintained by ABS for over 30 years. Let me know if you are interested!

oakview

I don't know why you would want to use those bulls, but to each their own.  Colomeadow Sting Ray was a white bull owned by the Petty family of Iowa way back when.  I think he went through a testing program and earned certified meat sire status, which was a big deal back then.  I think semen from him was offered through an AI company, perhaps Curtiss, so it was collected.  They had another bull, Mar Da D's Bill they sold semen on as well, I think he was a son.  Been over 40 years, but I think my memory is good.  You might contact Dale Petty, Petty Livestock Equipment Mfg. to see if any still remains.  They have a web site with a phone number.  Pettys usually have an equipment display at the Iowa State Fair and Iowa Beef Expo.  Denend Constellation was a son of Bapton Constructor.  I think it would be highly unlikely there would be any semen left on them or other mid-60s era bulls like Aberfeldy Field Marshall.  There have been at least half a dozen type changes since then.  Most of those bulls would be considered very small by today's standards.  Maybe that is what you are looking for.  I did see an ad in the Shorthorn Country a year or two ago wanting to buy miniature Shorthorns.  If I find it sometime, I could forward the appropriate information as they may be looking for the same things you are.