Wanting to know a cheap way to build pens

Help Support Steer Planet:

Spectator123

I have a small cattle operation and I am needing to build some working pens. I was wondering if any one had an idea on how to get the most bang for the buck.

WJ Farms

IMHO I would not go cheap on working pens......I would build them well where I would never have to replace anything or fix anything from something running them over or pushing them over.....cheap is never good when it comes to cattle and especially where you are going to work them at

dimebag

This is how i recently re-built mine : i bought used 10-12" diameter power poles and set them every 6' and set 4" treated posts between them , i then put 16' wire cattle panel's up and then put up treated rough cut 1" x 6" boards (top , middle , bottom) . The chute is built out of all treated 2" x 6" , leading to a WW squeeze chute . I have a small operation too (12-15 head) , this works well for me and it's built to last .

Attachments

• rsz_farm_pics_053.jpg
    rsz_farm_pics_053.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 303

Clark Club Calves

Free standing panels they may not be the cheapest but when you done with cattle they can be sold for just about as much money as you bought them for.

Attachments

• Pannels.png
    Pannels.png
    939.5 KB · Views: 256

I-69cc

CHeck craigslist! I dont know where your located but Ive got most of my stuff from there. I drove 4hrs to buy a ww chute and came home with a trailer full. Used railroad ties work well too. Good luck

mark tenenbaum

Clark Club Calves said:
Free standing panels they may not be the cheapest but when you done with cattle they can be sold for just about as much money as you bought them for. //// I agree and quick to put up-I pounded steel posts and put PVC pipe over them,and chained the panels to the posts. Worked some pretty big (1600plus) cows ,not all of them cooperative.

Clark Club Calves

Other things I like about free standing panels is if you do not like where your set up is want to change it just move them configure it how you like it.  If your pens get muddy and boggy you can move it to a different area if water is accessable.  We also like it when the shed cleaners come we can move them out of the way so the spreaders can get into small pens and they can get in there with a big loader. 

DLB

I have a small (actually tiny) operation myself.  I converted my old steer lot into my pens.  I bought some portable heavy duty panels from my local hardwear store.  Pen is about 40' long, by 25' wide.  I added an alley/chute as well.  Mine works for me only because I do not keep a crazy cow on my place.  Plus, most of my "older" girls know the routine in the pen and it makes it pretty easy.