Warning: Cattle Show Can Be Fatal!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

I just read this sad story and thought I would share it with all you Planeteers. It just goes to show you that we should always take care not to forget that these cattle we show can cause us harm.

Boy Dies After Dragged by Own Cow at Alaska Fair

A 9-year-old Alaska boy has died after he was dragged several hundred feet by his own cow at the Kenai Peninsula State Fair in Ninilchik.

The boy's father, Blair Martin, says his son Mathias died at Providence Alaska Medical Center on Friday night, hours after he was dragged by the cow at the fairgrounds. He says his son died from head injuries.

Martin says the boy put around his waist the rope attached to the cow's harness, and that something spooked the cow while Mathias was out of his family's view.

He says bystanders' cries for help alerted him to the cow "dragging what I just thought was a jacket, and it turned out to be his ragdoll body bouncing in the background."

Shady Lane

Very sad story.

When I was a kid one of the neighbours told me a story about a 4H kid who did something similar, tied the rope around his waist while Halter Breaking his 4H heifer and he was drug through an Orchard and killed.

Naturally this is something for 4H leaders and parents etc to engrave in kids, Never wrap the rope around your hand or tie it to any part of you!

God bless him and his family.

garett

People really need to take this seriously.

There was, oh probably a 12 year old boy that lived near us who went home after school to work with his heifer. She had been acting a little funny so he just tied the rope around his waste to get more control. The heifer spooked, and drug him around. A little while later his older brother went out to the barn and found him..too far gone. Its was really hard on them!  (angel)
So pleaseeeeee kids, and adults too, be careful and stay safe.

[cowgirl_up_47

I have been told SO many times to NEVER wrap the rope around any body part at any time.

Well, last year I was working with a heifer that wasn't totally halter broke yet and she wouldn't walk. I stood there with her for a while and contemplated tying the rope around my waist. I really knew better, but I thought about it for a while and decided it should be ok, I just wanted a little more leverage and, after all, she wasn't moving at all. That was only until I tied myself to her! She was standing there all calm, and the next thing I knew, I was being dragged into the panels and across the field.

I ended up in the emergency room and was asked, "ATV accident?"- "No, cow..." The whole way there all I could think about was what my 4H leader was going to say. She has always told me to NEVER wrap the rope around any body part. The worst part was that I knew better, it was very stupid.  I ended up wish road rash all over my back, 3 stitches in my finger, a swollen hand and nose, and lots of scrapes and bruises.
I was very lucky. I will never ever do it again. I cringe any time I see someone even close to having it tied around their hand.

NEVER EVER wrap the rope around any body part.

Show Dad

Cowgirl thanks for being honest. And I am glad you came away with only scrapes and bruises (and a bruised ego?).

People let's do the math. We weigh 100 to 200 pounds (OK 200+ for some of us)? What does the cow weigh? Even if it is a calf of 300 pounds it will have more muscle than you. Also we have two legs they have 4. There center of gravity is lower than ours. What does all this add up to? An accident waiting to happen if we aren't careful.

Since we can't out muscle them we need to work smarter. If at all possible never work your animal alone. Always respect the animals strength. Learn to use the animals behavior to your advantage. I could go on but you get the point.

One last word of advice. When you or your animal get tired or frustrated tie them to the fence or let them go because there is always tomorrow.

SD
<alien>

CAB

I think this is a god time to remind all who tell their kids never to let go, that when you are on the ground that the faster you let go the better. JMO, Brent

eliseo

thanks for the reminder my daughter is learning how to show for the first time and is 9y.o. i will make sure to remind her and my older boys that sometimes its easier to let go. i will keep the family in mt prayer.

SWMO

CAB said:
  I think this is a god time to remind all who tell their kids never to let go, that when you are on the ground that the faster you let go the better. JMO, Brent

Agreed.  There is a time to hang on and a time to let go.  My prayers and thoughts go to this family.  Tragedy strikes in a heartbeat.

farmboy

a long time ago we had a thread like this and someone, idk who, made the comment that on someones headstone it said "he didn't let go" it was jokingly but i guess it applies here.

kanshow

Tragic. 

We preach & preach to our kids not to coil the rope around any part of their body..including the hands.  I hate to be a nag, but I'll keep on reminding them.   

HT

That's sad :'(

While I was at Junior nationals in June, my heifer spooked when we went to tie her out and she slammed into me, knocked me down then reared up and slammed down on my left hip twice. It HURT!! but I was SO SO thankful nothing was broken. Just a bad bone bruise, not bad for a 1250lb heifer!! So I am still trying to recover from it, and have the start of nerve damage. So I was lucky. You never know whats gonna happen because they have a mind of their own and they are animals no matter how long you work with them or how tame they are, they will always be animals!!