Warning! Topic may get heated!

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Heaven forbid -  imagine this - I almost agree with something dusty says - I know he thinks he forgot more than I will ever know (but he has nothing against me personally) and certainly that kind of denigration is not designed to win friends and influence people but I do agree that if people work hard they can do pretty much whatever they want.

I do however disagree with your statement about formal education dulling the mind - ONLY IF YOU LET IT ;) - you have control of you mind - you want to believe that formal education dulls your mind  - then you let that happen

talk about way off topic

shorthorns r us

I think it would be rather arrogant to think that anyone reading this couldn't learn from and maybe even be provoked to think (yes, actual human thought) by the likes of Temple Grandin (KSU), Glenn Selk (Ok State),  John? Beever (Illinois), Harlan Hughes (formerly of NDSU), Jim Gerrish (formerly of Missouri).  Shall I go on?

knabe

echo chambers are not restricted to education

most kids learn they can't do things by the time they are 6 from their parents.  listen carefully what you say to your children.

not now, i'm busy, clean that up, don't do that there, put that down, be quiet, sit still

my addition to the people list.  adam smith.

finally, research institutions are responsible for considerable company creation.  this is basically how silicon valley was created.  a nexus between the war machine, universities of berkeley, stanford, cheap land that allowed concentrated construction of a rapid prototyping industry.  my stepfather helped locate Lockheed in the silicon valley for these reasons.

schooling is simply like learning to play a musical instrument.  the vast majority of people can not self teach themeselves, and even those that do, and can't read music are limited, albeit in a different way from those that can.  to me, this is why the music from the 60's and 70's was so great.  a lot of the artists were classically trained and took advantage of the log leap of combining classic training with improv.  either in isolation is an echo chamber.

buyer

In reference to earlier questions

The difference of the money was kept by the Fairboard.  The buyer, at the time, wanted it to be used for random drug testing in the future.  So they set up new rules this year.  Have not seen them but it sounds like a good thing as long as it applies to everyone. 

Anyone read the article in the Farm and Dairy today?  farmanddairy.com
Below is one of my responses to the article...

[PDF]
ENTRY BLANK ANIMALS ONLY 2007 GREAT GEAUGA COUNTY FAIR Total No ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
GEAUGA COUNTY JUNIOR FAIR ANIMAL ENTRY FORM. ENTRY AND LIABILITY FORM DEADLINE IS AUGUST 8, 2007. NOTE: Each Junior Fair member is responsible for making ...
geaugafair.com/forms/Entry_Forms_2007.pdf - 

Pages 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4, 4 of 4.  Page 4 of 4 is the NOTICE for testing drugs

Copied this directly from the net.  How can this pertain to open show only?  The notice for testing drugs (page 4 of 4)... 

How could page 4 of 4 of the Entry Form pertain to Open Show only or at all for that matter?  There are no buyers for open show.  The animals are not, never where that I know of, in the ring being auctioned off to buyers.  Furthermore, Open show animals are not even drug tested at all.  So how could page 4 of 4 of the Junior Fair Entry Form, pertain to Open Show only?       

Grasping for straws now.... 

knabe

and the other has the same viewpoint, and comprimise is meeting somewhere in the middle and moving on.  reparations are simply not moving on.