warts on cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

hunter1

Warts,...does anyone know how to get rid of these things, please let me know?  Let me know what causes them if you know.

CM Cattle

There is medicine you can give them, but my vet told me to pull them off, let them dry, then put it in their feed. I have done it tons of times, it has always worked.

luv2show21

The best thing we've found is to use a pair if fish-scalers.  You can buy them at Wal-Mart really cheap.  The sharp flat surface lets you clip the warts off as close to the skin as you can get so you don't leave any wart residue.  If the warts get very big, you can pull them, but they will bleed more.

hunter1

have a couple that are pretty big and kinda look like they are in the skin just sticking out would you think those are warts.

luv2show21

Sometimes they look like little eraser heads sticking out of the skin and sometimes they are big lumps of rough calloused-looking skin with no hair.  As long as they have the roughness on the outside and they are sticking out of the skin, it is likely a wart.  But, as always, if you have doubts about what you're doing, it's best to check with your vet to make sure.  Pulling them off with the scalers and them giving them a wart vaccine should fix the problem.  I've heard about feeding the warts back to them also, but I've never tried it yet.  Luckily it's a problem we haven't had in a few years.

CJC

I use toothpaste on them and it works great. It's the fluoride in it that kills them.

Cattledog

CM Cattle said:
There is medicine you can give them, but my vet told me to pull them off, let them dry, then put it in their feed. I have done it tons of times, it has always worked.

I do the same thing and I think it has worked.

jtho3c

We've always just pulled them off with pliers, scraped the spot with a curry comb, and sprayed plenty of iodine on it. Works every time.

bluegrass

I cut them off with a y-tex tag cutter. It is flat and has two sharp razors that come together in a v. I have tried everything this is what seems to work best without getting the cattle excited.

tlw012

We had a bull that had warts.  We pulled them off, scraped them, and fed them to him.  They always came back and each time seem to get bigger.  We finally took him to the vet and he was given a vaccine for warts.  About two weeks later the warts began to fall off and he never got any more.  Not sure if you can give the vaccine to a steer or not, but I would ask my vet.  I don't remember the shot being very expensive.

xxcc

jtho3c said:
We've always just pulled them off with pliers, scraped the spot with a curry comb, and sprayed plenty of iodine on it. Works every time.

yes, just smash them with a pair of pliers.  they'll fall of, unless you have to pull them off.

i can't see how your wart vaccine is any different than feeding them to the animals...some wart vaccines were off the market for a while, but they are back on.  all they are is ground up warts in a solution.

some say it conflicted with the federal regulations regarding feeding animals parts back to animals.