Wash Rack Ideas - Good and Bad

Help Support Steer Planet:

BTDT

I am in the process of designing a wash rack. So I am seeking the "best ideas" for a wash rack, and the things that do not work out.
The rack will be used for approximately 50 head of cattle, and up to 10 "at a time".
What dimensions?
Concrete up how high?
Wood or metal?

I know when I am out and about, I am always encountering things that are very unique and useful and I have also ran into things that just do not work at all even though I am sure "in theory" it was a good idea.

Thank you.

HF CHARS

neatest idea I have seen that i wish I had done,,catch pen with catch alley leading into rack,  works great when starting to break calves

dshack91

I have washed many cattle in a washrack that has an alley going into it, wonderful when breaking cattle.

frostback

Are you using just one side or both to tie to? Attach the hose behind the cattle if possible and high up.

bruiser

Built one for myself a couple years ago. Here's a list of the "if I ever do this again" ideas-
-don't put drain directly under the calf. Let the waste water drain to one corner and the trash will be left on the concrete to be swept up instead of clogging everything up.
-use a hose hanger over the calf (attached to the ceiling).I have a design in my head that is similar to the ones used in a car wash.
-use plenty of slope on the floor. We used an inch in about 4ft of run and its not quite enough

Cyfarmer

Here is what we did and we love it.
Two tie rails in the front - one high for bigger cattle, one low for smaller.
I went to the local dairy supply company and bought scrap 2" milk line (stainless steel) that I cut into 6-8" lengths. I put those into the concrete 3' from the wall, and 3' apart. My concrete was 6" thick - so the bottom of the pipe was into the fill so water could drain away from the holes. I then took steel pipe in 3ft lengths that would fit tightly into the holes in the floor, and covered them with 2" PVC pipe with caps (the caps are very important if using a blower - air going into the holes spook the calves.) The white PVC keeps from getting rust on the cattle and looks much nicer. My slope is not very steep, and I like it because we can sweep the hair or manure up rather than having it go into the drain. I believe I put in 1" per 8ft. Also - having the water behind,or overhead is excellent so the calves are not constantly stepping or kicking the hose.
Cyfarmer

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

Catch pen or alley is a must, my facilitys were originally a 160 cow freestall barn with a double 4 parlor. we gutted the parlor and filled in the pit to make the wash rack and have our working chute and cow alley around the outside of the wash rack. the alley works amazing for catching the calves before they are broke just by closing a cut gate on each end of the alley. the tie rails are the one side of the alley which I have found works really well because the calves are generally more willing to walk to that rather than right up to a wall to be tied. I also put in removable anti sway posts 30 inches apart and 30 inches back from the rail.

Here is my list of must dos if building a new wash rack:
make it easy for the water and trash to separate
however big you want your wash rack make it bigger. ours is too small now that we have it done.
keep the tie rails away from the wall to keep calves from feeling trapped, that makes a good spot for the catch alley too.
hang hoses from the ceiling. keeps kinks out and keeps it from getting too nasty.
make a separate area for tieing calves to blow them out, moving them helps break them and they aren't standing on the wet cement when blowing them out.

good luck and I would like to see pictures when it is done!  (clapping)

paj315

We lined he inside of ours with the plastic they use to line refrigerator trailers it works great and everything can be cleaned with a power washer or a push broom and garden hose

Latest posts