Watery Eyes?

Help Support Steer Planet:

tuckercattle

Ever since I brought a steer home a week ago, his eyes have been unusually watery.  He has been eating fine, and he hasn't shown any other signs of being sick.  I don't think it has to do with debris in the eye since both eyes are very watery.  Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?  Thanks.

leanbeef

Pink eye, allergies, cold... I would squirt Vetricyn in his eyes or just squirt 2cc of LA-300 in his eyes. Our co-op is carrying a Vetricyn spray specifically formulated for eyes. If you use the LA-300, just draw it up in a syringe, take the needle off, hold the eye open, and squirt it quickly directly into the eye. It's kinda like eye drops... It works.

blueshorthorn

Vetericyn is a 1% bleach + 99% water solution with a little bit of salt. They put the same solution in bottles with different labels.

leanbeef

If you have cattle--or any livestock for that matter--there are a few things you should keep on hand. LA-300 and Vetricyn are two of those things. You'll save yourself a lot of time & trouble & money if you learn to address minor issues without having to call the vet every time an animal has a bump or a scratch. Pinkeye is an easily treatable issue, and there really isn't anything anybody at the vet's office can do that you can't do yourself with stuff you can buy at your local co-op or wherever you buy animal health supplies.