We are changing our herd away from Shorthorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

librarian

The original issue on this topic, as I understood it, was the breeder was switching away from Shorthorns because he felt The association had not been aggressive enough in improving the market for commercial animals. Quality has never been the problem, just recognition.
Genomics are here to stay and, after studying on it, it seems companies like Igenity are somewhat under the gun to improve the accuracies of their tests across breeds.
The nature, scope and impact of genomic prediction in beef cattle in the United States
Dorian J Garrick

http://www.gsejournal.org/content/43/1/17
They need training populations to do this.
Because the genetic distance between Angus, Red Angus, shorthorn and Maine is short, the Results from Angus training populations should show high correlations to accuracy (as accuracy goes) for Shorthorn.
These tests are $40 per animal. If you are looking at 700 lb feeders, my math says that comes to almost 6 cents/lb.
I'm not great at math, so maybe that's not right. But if it is, it seems worth it to offer that information to buyers, especially if the animals are going straight to the buyer. Putting together 40 animals for a pen doesn't seem daunting. And putting together 10 pens doesn't sound daunting.
But we shouldn't even have to pay that $40, because the companies need the data. Here is where the Association can help, by making deals with the Genomics companies to use our feeders as training populations.

But here is the bigger thing:
They also need training populations of cross bred animals to assist is making predictions for purebred sires that work well in crossbred scenarios. So we could really accomplish something by getting into this kind of research.
We have what they need, so we just need to offer them numbers. Coming up with crossbred numbers should not be so hard. The thing is to make sure they are shorthorn sired to try to disprove the hypothesis that shorthorn sired cross bred animals out of Angus and red angus have better feed efficiency, quality and grade.
And that Shorthorn sired replacements out of Angus and Red Angus excel in maternal traits and stayability.

Sorry to put all this research up, but it we could fit right into this need for further study.

Genomic selection in admixed and crossbred populations1
A. Toosi, R. L. Fernando 2 and J. C. M. Dekkers

https://www.animalsciencepublications.org/publications/jas/articles/88/1/32
The final paragraphs:
A population that is a crossbred or an admixture of different breeds can be used as a training data set for GS and can provide reasonably accurate estimates of true BV of purebred selection candidates. This also implies that, with GS using high-density SNP markers, marker estimates obtained from crossbred populations can be used to select purebreds for crossbred performance, as suggested by Dekkers (2007), and examined by Ibanez-Escriche et al. (2009). Our results showed that in crossbred and admixed populations, haplotypes with strong LD are much shorter than in purebred populations. Thus, crossbred or admixed populations are more suitable for QTL fine mapping than purebred populations, provided marker density is sufficient.

Furthermore, because haplotype segments with strong LD in crossbred and admixed populations are narrower, markers in such segments are expected to have more consistent associations with QTL across the training and validation populations. Therefore, the decline of accuracy of GS over generations that has been observed in simulation studies (e.g., Habier et al., 2007) might be slower when admixed or crossbred populations are used for training than when purebred populations are used. By combining 2 pure breeds into a single training population, one can take advantage of a larger sample size for simultaneous estimation of marker effects and thus improve the accuracy of GS. In our simulation, when the size of the training population for the combined_AB training population was doubled, a 7% increase of the accuracy resulted (data not shown). In addition, by combining breeds into a single training population (vs. making certain crosses like an F1), a lot of time and effort can be saved. More importantly, there is a greater chance of segregation of breed-specific QTL in a multi-breed training population.

In the present study, while dealing with admixed populations, the population structure or additive genetic relationships were not explicitly modeled, which might be regarded as the standard method to limit the false discoveries due to population admixture in marker-phenotype association studies. Nevertheless, GS using high-density markers proved to be efficient enough to distinguish between true signals of association from spurious signals, at least under the idealized population structures that were used in the simulations. Whether or not this could provide an alternative methodology for association studies in populations with cryptic structures or extensive genealogical relationships requires further research.

aj

I'm kinda with hamburg.....its kinda scary if you are honest about costs. Property taxes,opportunity costs, milage on a vehicle checking water, supplements, and cost of land. Labor or opportunity cost of labor. 12,000 livestock trailor.......30,000 loader tractor.......bale mover......40,000 round baler.....on and on.....kinda interesting stuff.

RyanChandler

hamburgman said:
I can agree XBAR that good operations have definitely been beating the average, hence the definition of average I guess.

What are you considering/talking about when you say non-production cost?  I have just seen some stuff by people that gets confusing because expenses to raise a calf I consider production cost.

Also a while back we were discussing getting 1500 for a recip calf, which you said was 50% more than what the average calf was bringing.  You claimed your 5 weights didn't crack 2 bucks if I remember right, but you should be close to 3 bucks this year especially if you are in wheat country. 

I must say I would really be scratching my head if I was leaving 100 bucks a calf on the table, around here that tends to be the difference between vaccinated and weaned calves vs naive bawlers.

The main error you see is when people try to expense their entire land mortgage through the cows.  Land is a seperate investment. You can't 'expense' an appreciating asset.  What you can do is assign a value to the use of the grazable grass and expense that cost as if you were 'leasing' the land to the cows but that amount is very small relative to the entire mortgage.  In short, it's unfair (to your cows) and inaccurate (to you) to attempt to expense items that aren't NECESSITIES.  People expensing $70k tractors to do work that $20k tractors could do is what has lead to the "$100 profit figures you presented earlier."  While I could go out and buy the most expense tractors, trailers, implements, facilities, etc, it wouldn't be accurate to try and suggest that the premiums I 'elected' to pay for those items should be expensed against my calf crop.

Andyva

There are many ways to look at the idea of "leaving money on the table". If you have red calves, you are going to get less than if you have black. If you take a load of ten and there is one red one there is going to be a big difference. If you show up with a load of red ones it's maybe not as bad. If you show up with three red ones and compare to your neighbor selling a load of blacks, then of course it is going to look bad. You would be getting docked for having a small group on top of the red dock.
  Personally, I can look past the $100 to $200 "left at the table". I have played the red/black game for a long time and this is nothing new. I can usually purchase a higher quality red bull for the money. This translates into more pounds across the scales. I can also retain better females, again producing more pounds across the scales. It's harder to see this on paper, though. Around here everybody is so caught up in the black craze that you have to go to a sale and bid on black bulls. Usually they are  yearlings, not done growing, just sold based on EPDs and pedigree. They get bid up pretty high, and it is very possible to come home with an overpriced peace of garbage that once you invest time in growing out and using him you find out he was inferior. What's worse is finding out the hard way, after his calves look good, that his daughters were inferior. Cull a whole year class of heifers for being unqualified as brood cows, and then we will talk about "leaving money on the table".

Again, I'm only a commercial producer, If I had an entire herd of pure shorthorns, I'm pretty sure I would employ judicious use of a homozygous black bull on anything I didn't want a replacement out of and I would limit the number of roan brood cows that I retained.

hamburgman

-XBAR- said:
hamburgman said:
I can agree XBAR that good operations have definitely been beating the average, hence the definition of average I guess.

What are you considering/talking about when you say non-production cost?  I have just seen some stuff by people that gets confusing because expenses to raise a calf I consider production cost.

Also a while back we were discussing getting 1500 for a recip calf, which you said was 50% more than what the average calf was bringing.  You claimed your 5 weights didn't crack 2 bucks if I remember right, but you should be close to 3 bucks this year especially if you are in wheat country. 

I must say I would really be scratching my head if I was leaving 100 bucks a calf on the table, around here that tends to be the difference between vaccinated and weaned calves vs naive bawlers.

The main error you see is when people try to expense their entire land mortgage through the cows.  Land is a seperate investment. You can't 'expense' an appreciating asset.  What you can do is assign a value to the use of the grazable grass and expense that cost as if you were 'leasing' the land to the cows but that amount is very small relative to the entire mortgage.  In short, it's unfair (to your cows) and inaccurate (to you) to attempt to expense items that aren't NECESSITIES.  People expensing $70k tractors to do work that $20k tractors could do is what has lead to the "$100 profit figures you presented earlier."  While I could go out and buy the most expense tractors, trailers, implements, facilities, etc, it wouldn't be accurate to try and suggest that the premiums I 'elected' to pay for those items should be expensed against my calf crop.

Gotcha, our thinking is on the same path then.  I do laugh when people have that expensive loader tractor when it shouldn't be used very often on good operations.  Same with manure spreaders.

aj

I would think a manure spreader would be hard to pencil. However....that manure is very good fertilizer. A local dairy sells it and they always sell out. There may be some value added there to crop production. I personally use a piece of crap tractor loader. The gear shift lever doesn't work.....you manually engage gears by reaching in a hole. And it won't run over 3 miles an hour. I've noticed a couple cow guys here bought 20,000 feed trucks. They blend for a low cost ration.....grinding cornstalks into rations and etc.. I've talked to them and they are sold on it. A producers main cost is feed.

J

JTM

Andyva said:
If someone was to make some shorthorns that were 15/16ths high quality shorthorn with solid black hides, I think they would sell pretty well to the commercial cattlemen. Most people that have the resources in shorthorn genetics to do that are already doing pretty well selling fluffy club calves. Doesn't matter that the shorthorn association will only call a black animal 1/2. The only thing the commercial cattleman wants is a pedigree, no matter what color or prefix, just so long as it can give something to base EPDs on and give an idea as to ancestry. The main thing is to ensure that if something doesn't click we want to make sure and never breed to any of "that" again. That's why the quality needs to be there, not just the hide.
Black Shorthorns can now be registered up to 15/16 blood. At this time if they are black and 15/16 they will still not get a purebred paper though.

RyanChandler

^ let's hope we never see black purebred shorthorns. Ridiculous ruling that allows a purebred shorthorn to be out of a black sire or dam.

cbcr

let's hope we never see black purebred shorthorns. Ridiculous ruling that allows a purebred shorthorn to be out of a black sire or dam

If you look at the English Breed Registries, Angus is black, Hereford is red white face, Red Poll is red, Red Angus is red, and the Shorthorn is red, white or roan.  It should NEVER be allowed for any of these breeds except the Angus to be black.

All of the Continental breeds that came in during the 70's, have all turned black because of the use of Angus.  If these breeds were supposed to be so great, why was the Black allowed to happen?  That is to us a failure of the breed association for allowing this to happen.  Look at any sale catalog, where are the purebred animals with traditional color?

knabe

aj said:
I'm kinda with hamburg.....its kinda scary if you are honest about costs. Property taxes,opportunity costs, milage on a vehicle checking water, supplements, and cost of land. Labor or opportunity cost of labor. 12,000 livestock trailor.......30,000 loader tractor.......bale mover......40,000 round baler.....on and on.....kinda interesting stuff.

i'm thinking that many a successful person purchases second hand equipment.  the newer the equipment, the more outside/upside income is necessary.

Andyva

I'm not necessarily advocating for or against black shorthorns, just stating the fact that there are a lot of commercial cattlemen that are brainwashed into the black cattle craze that would never consider trying a shorthorn, but would if you could offer them a black shorthorn. A lot of these same guys think that you can't farm with a ten year old truck and a twenty year old tractor, so they go on to perpetuate the black cattle supremacy myth, based on the $100 they left on the table because of a red calf, when they could have really used the money to make tractor payments.

Andyva

librarian said:
I guess if you got a black Shorthorn by breeding in black Galloway I could stand it as a composite.
Boy, wouldn't that be a slap in the face to the CAB program. Certified angus beef without any angus in it.

beebe

Andyva said:
librarian said:
I guess if you got a black Shorthorn by breeding in black Galloway I could stand it as a composite.
Boy, wouldn't that be a slap in the face to the CAB program. Certified angus beef without any angus in it.
I have been doing that for quite awhile, finally had a feedlot call and ask what Angus sires I had used.  I told them there was no Angus in them and they went silent on the other end then they said "oh". I told them they would meet or beat all CAB carcass specs and then they said OK and hung up.

beebe

knabe said:
Apparently they just want you to lie.

Amazing they want lower quality.
I think if I had given some Angus name they would have been happy.

librarian

For the record, my stand is that of its not red, white or roan, it's not a Shorthorn.
But I was thinking someone is going to make a lot of money promoting Durham Blacks.
So I did a search and the Australians are already there.
http://www.thegroveonline.com.au/genetics.php
Then I thought maybe I could get the domain name and get rich selling it, but its taken.
Anyway, here is a Durham Black.

Attachments

• Durham Black Bull.jpg
    Durham Black Bull.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 753

librarian

These Durham Blacks are impressive
http://www.thegroveonline.com.au/performance.php
On the hook the Durham Blacks rose to the top with the MSA section carrying them over the line. The 4 pens from The Grove all performed extremely well in the MSA section averaging a massive 220 points more per pen than the trial average. This both highlights and backs up the breeding programme at The Grove. "Quality Beef & More Of It" - a simple motto but to combine the two traits are generally antagonistic.

http://www.thegroveonline.com.au/index.php