We changed trains

Help Support Steer Planet:

okiegirl

This is my 15 year old daughters 2nd year to show.  Up until last year she had done competition dance (think DanceMoms).  We were both ready for a break and since we farm for a living she thought showing cattle would be fun, plus it made her dad happy.  While I sorta miss the dance I LOVE the show cattle atmosphere, however I think we jumped off one crazy train and got on board another.  We have built a Showbarn with a cool room, bought a new Show trailer, have bought two nice $$$ calves and are still looking for the Ringer.  I know other people (relatives) think we have lost our minds.  We were spending about $10,000.00 a year on dance and decided we needed to cut back.  Ha, if we only spent that much on the show stuff that would be cheap.  but she's the baby and it's something she, her dad, and I enjoy and can do together.  I would much rather know that on a Friday night we are washing calves getting ready for a show then not know where she is.  She has made lots of friends from all over the tri-state area at shows and camp.  Unless we have a major derailment, I guess this train will run for the next three years.  Choo Choo

chambero

I would hate to know what a lot of families spend on select league baseball (or other sports) and travelling teams.  It goes year round, families travel almost every weekend for long stretches - often out of state - to tournaments.  Coaches of those kinds of teams are often much higher paid than high school coaches and your "fees" pay those salaries.  I know its pretty common to have to pay an enrollment fee of a couple of thousand dollars to be on those teams.  In addition to those coaches, families often hire one on one pitching coaches or hitting instructors.  For kids 10-13 years old.

At least with showing steers you have a chance of making some of it back.  4-H and FFA scholarships are a lot easier to get than an athletic scholarship.  And if you are truly engaged in agricultural business a good part of it can be tax deductible.

farmmom73

Welcome aboard!  We tried 'easing' into showing cattle, just to make sure the boy liked it.  Once we found out he loved it...it's like my money grew wings! BUT, when you kid looks at you and says 'Mom, I love spending time at shows with you'...It makes it all worthwhile.

goodnight

The facilities/trailer/equipment is where a lot of money is spent, but some of that can be tax deductible. Consult your CPA. You can spend as much or as little as you want on calves. If you already have a cowherd, start breeding towards raising your own calves. Some people are not able to do the bred and owned thing, but those that can derive a lot of pride and satisfaction from raising and showing their own. There is an expense in getting that accomplished, too. But, with ET having become relatively affordable, you can get several calves from a mating you like on the ground in nine months. If you have some good cows now, consider using them as recips to raise your own. I think that a herd of 15-20 females will produce a calf or two (or more) that can be competitive.

okiegirl

frostback said:
Wait, what? What on earth costs $10000 in dance. Are the shoes made of gold?

Entry fees, costumes, shoes, classes, hotels, food, solo's, private lessons, more costumes, conventions, gas (we drove an hour each way for classes at least twice a week) and props.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the jist.

savaged

okiegirl said:
frostback said:
Wait, what? What on earth costs $10000 in dance. Are the shoes made of gold?

Entry fees, costumes, shoes, classes, hotels, food, solo's, private lessons, more costumes, conventions, gas (we drove an hour each way for classes at least twice a week) and props.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the jist.

That sounds awesome  ;)

AAOK

This is a great post. As many know, I had never heard of showing animals before the age of about 25 when my brother-in-law showed a pig at their County Fair. As we got more and more involved with raising and showing cattle, I realized our family continually growing closer while at the same time, I witnessed many of my friends experiencing the exact opposite with their families. Our girls were 9 and 12  the year we began show calves. Parents of daughters will understand that our oldest turned into a child possessed by Satan that next year, but her involvement with her calves kept her busy and controllable.  Our investment was minimal because we didn't know what we needed, so we made do with what we had. We drove to Kearney, NE that Summer to our 1st Jr National with 2 heifers, a pair of clippers, a beat up bumper trailer pulled by a Bronco; no chute, blower or show box. But, we all had fun, and were hooked. Now, 21 years later, no cattle and kidos in another State, we ALL have the memories of working and playing together, and doing it all on our own.

I have 2 pieces of advice I believe greatly enhanced our performances, togetherness, and record in the ring!

#1.  Raise and exhibit your own calves.
#2.  Get engrossed in a Breed Association and attend your National Junior Shows.

bruiser

As a father of three ( one still at home) I applade your choice!!! Since high school sports get more out of control each year you can step back and enjoy the ride now. My advice is join a 4-H club and watch your kids have fun. Our club is made up of livestock kids. There are about 6 families that hit the show trail regularly. The kids all get along and the parents help each other out whenever possible.Just wait, in a few years you will be glad you took this route and never look back again.

sj0515

We jumped on the same train about three years ago with a horrible sale barn calf to see if my daughter would stick with it. She did great. So took out a loan on my 401k to build a barn and bought 2 shorthorn heifers. Now we are all hooked. But it is something we do as a family and love every bit of it. It is expensive but worth every dollar.

Latest posts