We make up an interesting group of cattle people from all over.

Help Support Steer Planet:

ELBEE

Born and raised in the Northern Flint Hills (richest grassland in the world), only chilid from a family whose generations average over 40 years apart. I had the choice to join my elderly father on the ranch or attend Vet. school at KSU. Glad I stayed at home, he passed when I was 24. Our area is still seeing consolidation of farms and ranches, the old timers are passing and no one is taking their place. Most of the marginal farm ground has been put in CRP, only the river bottoms are used for corn. soybeans, milo, wheat, and alfalfa.  I try to live by the creed I heard my father repeat many times. "Son, don't ever criticize another man's bull".

red

ELBEE said:
Red, yours is truly an inspiring life! Some of us may have to re-evaluate how fortunate we are.

I'm just amazed at the wonderful stories I've read. I know there are so many others out there with so much to share!
Shortdawg, one of my best friends I worked w/ from KY was a tobacco farmer. Hard labor! I always enjoyed visiting the tobaacco auction barns w/ him.
Can't wait to read DL's on how she migrated from NY to MI!

Red (clapping)

shortdawg

Red, Your Hubby's story is very inspiring. Almost had me crying too. I have a good friend that was injured in a wreck after high school and has maybe 10% use of his legs. We pick him up and drop him off in the dove field when he goes with us. Put a boat in the pond so he can duck hunt with us and he is a heck of a deer hunter off his 4 wheeler. He has adapted much like your husband has with his vehicles and the controls. The key is to deal with the hand you've been dealt and keep on keeping on. Thanks for the story!

cowz

garybob said:
I would like to apologize for my lashing out at JustMe.

Shouldn't have penalized her for some of my life's experiences, which, have shaped my viewpoints. Had a resume rejected one time, when I applied for an entry-level position in the Feeding Industry. Wasn't applauded for my interest and obvious qualifications. Feedyard Mgr said he never knew anyone "down there" even knew about Performance Records,let alone those that affect Feeeding Preformance and Beef Quality, and, based on the SW-MO/NW-AR/NE-OK cattle he had fed ( I guessed he had some duds in his pens), he didn't really believe that anyone form the greater Ozarks Region would make a hand, based solely on his experiences.
I can remember MANY times at both Youth and Intercollegiate activities, those of us from the MId-south would be kind of left to interact among ourselves.Got insulted about everything from incest/mobile homes/methamphetamines/teen-pregnancy. I knew, right away, that prejudices existed in other parts of the country. It ain't just a Southern Thang. When I would travel to look for Herd Sires, I'd get shown the sorriest cow-fresheners among the potential sires offered. Cagwin was the worst.Bill Smithers, Dave McFarland, Tom& Ron Moore, and Harold Bertz were very much the opposite. Never bought any of their bulls. Didn't have to, either, in order to maintain amicable relations. Everyone else I have met I found to express a directly insulting demeanor to me, and, made frequent remarks about my home area.
Excuse me for my tactlessness.You didn't mean anything by it.

Hey Gary Bob,
I can buy into what you say......because there are people in the eastern part of this fine country that think people who live west of the Mississippi are dumber than a box of rocks!!!! 

Latest posts