Weaning

Help Support Steer Planet:

bluegrass

What I do is call a certain individual who has a farmers almanac and knows how to read it (cause I don't) and they tell me when the next time to wean is.

DL

genes said:
DL, at U of S they found that the weaner things in the nose almost completely got rid the vocalizing, and turned out to be very low stress.  But then I remember seeing somewhere where another group tried it and didn't have as good of results (maybe it was MSU....).  I didn't compare too closely, but I'm not sure if they used the same protocol for timelines and stuff.

the bottom line on the MSU study is that there were 3 groups - abrupt, nose ring gizmo, fence line
no difference in weights
abrupt - lots of vocalization, pacing; no diference between gizmo and fence line, except when nose ring removed these calves vocalized more

abrupt is more stressful but there may be no difference in weights - however time may be coming when lack of production is not accepted as low stress by the consumer.....

red

Well, today I've got all 4 of them tied up & brushed. They are a little hoarse but seem fine otherwise. The cows can see the calves still & they check in on them regularly. They just can't steal milk.

Red

mlk32

Yep.  Something like that. I first spotted them in the PBS Supply catalog.

rtnok

On the Astological signs i was always told that to use going away. To wean  going away from the head, to casturate going away from the bowels and so forth.  Our company puts out a almamac calender.  Roni

red

The Amish plant by the signs. I'm sure they follow other activities also using them.

I gave the calves a Vitaferm boluse this morning. Hopes it helps w/ the stress & gets them back on feed. They are eating well but the 2 younger ones need some condition put on them.

Red

Latest posts