Web Page

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

Suggestions please- we are starting to look around for a new web host for our web page- it these times its getting expensive to run two webpages from
showsteers.com and clubcalves.com and was wondering what other people out there are using.  I was reading the interesting article on cattle.com about web
pages and thought it was interesting but couldnt find any data on what we should be using, we are happy with showsteers.com and clubcalves.com but just
cannot afford the money, especially when we are selling so many in August and September when we need to update - ALOT-
any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I wonder if steerplanet needs to start its own????

thanks

justamom

rtmcc

We do our own web site with iWeb on our Mac.  We have our web space with 1and 1.com.  Costs about $75/year with them and includes enough email accounts and server space to take care of half the county.  Now that I have been doing the website for about a year and feal comfortable with it, I think we may get our link listed with EDJE.  Costs like $275/year for just a link but they will list whenever you do updates etc..

Our web site is at  www.rtmcattleco.com

I like being able to update the site from my desk whenever I want to.
<cowboy>

justintime

My wife uses www.parcom.net to host the websits she develops... including our own. I think it costs us $39 per year, if memory serves me right. It is less than 1/2 the price of our last web host and is is many times better in all ways.

kanshow

Check with your ISP,  we get a fair amount of free webspace with our DSL. 

jason

I was thinking about making a template to help people start a breeder site.  I would build it around a database to make adding and editing information easy.

Where I definitely lack is graphic design.  I have gotten handy with photoshop, but I think the design gene skipped me.

A domain name and hosting shouldn't cost you anymore than $50 a year.

PM and I will provide a reputable company that I have about 10 websites with.

LN

I use Mod Host. I think I use the second smallest package and it has plenty of room and we are allowed two sites. It costs $48/year.

doubled

Thanks everyone for the input- Im gonna research each and every one- Hopefully I will reach a decision this spring-

the only question is if you dont use showsteers what drives people to your site????

dori36

justamom said:
Thanks everyone for the input- Im gonna research each and every one- Hopefully I will reach a decision this spring-

the only question is if you dont use showsteers what drives people to your site????

Well, of course, there's word of mouth that spreads pretty well, surprisingly.  Also, being sure your web addy (url) is printed on everything you put out there as advertising like business cards, flyers, your banner at shows etc.  For me, besides all that, I use Google Adwords.  It's a system of bidding through Google for certain phrases that people might use to search for whatever you're promoting on your site.  Mine include Lowlines, Lowline Cattle, Lowline Angus, Angus Cattle, Cattle for Sale.  I think that's all of them.  When you search for whatever on Google, you see a column of "Sponsored Ads" on the right and, also, a couple of sponsored ads right at the top of the rest of the ads on the page.  That's what Adwords does for you.  I pay a certain amount everytime someone clicks on my sponsored ad.  I control how much I'm willing to pay per day.  When I run out of budget, the ads don't show on the page. The highest bid amounts get the highest position.  My unique visits increased tons when I started using Adwords.  You can get specifics by Googling "Google Adwords".

jason

justamom said:

That is the question, they are definitely the largest show-oriented cattle site.  I am hoping steerplanet will help drive buyers to websites, but right now we are still young.  I know people have had good luck in the classifieds, but in the end you might need to be listed.  

I plan on doing some advertising in a couple of the magazines this Spring for Steerplanet and maybe the Fall.  I am just reinvesting back into steerplanet and trying to help it grow.  Again, our breeder listings will be free and hopefully it will help some people out.

doubled

thanks, I use google ad words for my recipe and blog personal site- I think they do work - never thought of that-
but I was just thinking too that the classifieds here are good advertising and I can always get one of these little ads that appear here to the left too.

LT

We had Laura Sutherly design our site her site is Correspond in a Click and she gives us the opportunity to do all the updating on our own.  Our site is hosted through Readyhosting.com and we pay around 100 a year for our domain name and hosting.  We have linked to Showsteers and Clubcalves,but our tracking is showing that we are being visited more and more now directly.  The links are essential to create traffic.  We are investigating advertising on this site since we have found it recently and follow it often. 
www.cookshowcattle.com

Good Luck

klintdog

I use www.qualityhostonline.com for all the sites I design. Depending on the package you choose, it can be as cheap as $12/year for hosting, and they actually give you quite a few scripts, loads of bandwidth, and they have probably the best uptime of anyone I've used. If you do decide to go with them, let me know and I might be able to get a deal since I'm a reseller associate.