weight gain

Help Support Steer Planet:

txshowlamb

i have a pig that is very pickey about what she eats so its hard ut just to get her to eat we have her on 4 ounces of power phat and 2 ounces of paylean and is eating free feed of sunglos pig feed she has been dewormed but just wont gain weight wevge tryed everything soybean oil, corn,beet pulp and a lot of other things in three weeks she has gained 10 pounds :mad: som help me please

angusboy1

my pig is very pickey two so wat i do i take a few pepermints put them at the bottom and make her eat to the bottom to get to them all pigs love pepermints i havent seen one yet who doesnt

GRsimm

Is the feed that you have her on meal or pellet form. I am not familiar with Sunglow's feeds because we feed Moorman's here to our pigs. But if you have a pellet feed you might try slop feeding her with some moistened feed and milk replacer and you can add your phat and paylean right with it. Well hope this helps we have been really lucky this year our pigs are sitting between 168-186 and are gaining 2.1 lbs per day and our fair is not until the first week of August. Good luck.. (thumbsup)

BCCC

Okay, all sunglo feeds are in a pellet, It doesnt matter how old they are they will still eat a meal, or a pellet, its the same thing in a different form. How much are they weighing, and where do you want them? which sunglo feed do you have them on?? I presume 101?? why do you have them on power fat? How many days till fair?

kanshow

Is your feed fresh?    Does she have enough cool water?  Is she otherwise uncomfortable - too hot, too cold?  Is she hurting anywhere?  I've never seen a pig that didn't take off & go with Sunglo feeds. 

Dusty

Mix the feed in bucket with cold water out of the hydrant.  Stir it up good until it is about the consistancy of chocolate malt.  Only feed what they will clean up at one feeding.  It is better to feed like this 4-5 times a day.  This should help feed intake.

txshowlamb

i know i agree i never seen a pig not eat sunglo the pig is a summer pig so shows are all summer long i stopped taking her to show for the reason simply i want her to gain and when taking her to shows that will stress her out and wont help her gain i want her to at least hit 230 pounds by mid august i reallly doubt this will happen but worth a try the water is automatic and feeds to all of the pig pens so theres no real way to tell how much she is drinking my feed is fresh and it is 101 and we also had her on the sunglo pig feed with dewormer i have her on powerphat because i was told that help her gain but at the same time she burn calcium or something like that it is also very hot here in tx we have hit triple digits and stayed about 97-98 or higher for the past month and a half but we hose her down and her pen she has a fan that blows on her pen and fans that are in the aisle way that blow air towards her pen hope this helps and thanks

red

I'd talk to a hog person that can give you some tips to get her eating again. I fed my pig day old dougnuts when I had one so I'm not the person to give you help!  ::)

Red

BCCC

txshowlamb said:
i have a pig that is very pickey about what she eats so its hard ut just to get her to eat we have her on 4 ounces of power phat and 2 ounces of paylean and is eating free feed of sunglos pig feed she has been dewormed but just wont gain weight wevge tryed everything soybean oil, corn,beet pulp and a lot of other things in three weeks she has gained 10 pounds :mad: som help me please
I would take her off the paylean and power fat, start feeding the paylean 21 days before your show or so depending on how she looks. Is she in a pen by her self?? if so get another pig and put it in with her it will make her compete for feed, start hand feeding her a couple tiems a day, just give her 2lbs at a time and if she cleans it all up give her a bit more, if she still dont eat, moisten her feed some. if she still dotn eat, add some sweet stuff to  her feed like syrup.

sunglo pig feed is like crack for a crack addict

txshowlamb

are you saying sunglo pig feed is bad ??? today i go  this cherry electrolight stuff  ???really sweet we used it on the lambs its a power bright pink in color i put it on  top of her feed she picked tghrew it and ate a little then i figured well ill mix it in then she stopped eating it so i added water to it and poured it on her food and mixed it together then she dug threw it and poured it all out so i figured ill let her  get a little hungry and try again in the morning but thanks everyone for the help any other tips are really appreciated thanks agian