weird

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

OK my show heifers and my steers, aren't gaining, There hasn't been any change in their diet, they are eating very well, they don't appear to be sick, the weather has been the same-ish.  They were gaining about 3-3.8 lbs a day, They are now only gaining .67 lbs a day, except one she is gaining 2 lbs but she was gaining 3.8., any one of any suggestions on what to do ???

OH Breeder

Just a suggestion. After a period of time, you need to make sure the calves are up to date with probiotics. It is easy for them to get burn out on feed. I use gel from TSC every couple of months to keep the stomach working.

red

how much hay are they eating & what type?
Make sure they are getting a good free choice mineral. Also agree on the probiotic.
Take temps too just to make sure.
good luck!

Red

Jill

We haven't done this in a while, but we used to skip one feeding a week on Sunday, it seemed to keep them eating, like they never knew when they were going to miss a meal.

red

Not familiar w/ cane hay. Is it a grassy type? Make sure they aren't filling up on it. Also what has you temps been like where you are? Sometimes they slow down in warmer weather.

Red

cattlejunky

Like Jill said skip and afternoon feeding. If ours are not cleaning up their normal feed amount we start cutting it back until they clean it all up.  once they have started cleaning it up we add more to each feeding and work them back up to where they were.  Sometimes I think they just get full.  Are you giving them flakes of hay? 

BCCC

They are cleaning everything up, within 15 minutes, and then I give them each a flake of hay, and then they eat that, and they are done until the next feeding, Temps have been about 45-50

Jill

Are they going through that growing stage where maybe it's going into structure instead of pounds, doesn't make sense if they are still eating they wouldn't be gaining.

cattlejunky

Jill said:
Are they going through that growing stage where maybe it's going into structure instead of pounds, doesn't make sense if they are still eating they wouldn't be gaining.

I think Jill has hit it on the head.  I thought they had slowed down on their eating.  Do they need to gain or are they looking good at where they are? Do you feed each calf seperatly, pairs, or all together?  Some may need more feed, while some others may need to be kept the same.  When is your fair?

AAOK

If these were my calves, I would be feeding a Complete Feed finishing ration at 12 - 13 pounds per feeding, twice a day.  Each feeding would receive a top dress of 1-2 oz. Quality Medicated Mineral containing Chlortetracycline for the control of active infection of anaplasmosis and low level infections.  Each calf would also recieve 3 pounds good quality grass hay in the evening.  The amount of feed for the 1000 calf may need to be increased to as much as 17 pounds per feeding depending on required body score.  A good Feed Plan combined with a complete ration and mineral should eliminate the need for any probiotic. 

BCCC

the steers are feed together, and the heifers individualy. They were getting about 3% of their body weight, but I have cut them down some the past 3 days, so I could get them to clean up all their feed in 15 minutes, instead of 25 minutes. I am feeding a 14% protein feed, with 3.5% fat, It is a complete feed, it is really putting a good cover over their ribs, and starting to put a some fat on the tail head, so I have added some oats, and took some feed away. I have 137 days until fair . These heifers are frame scores of about 5, except the one that is only weighing 660, she is a 4, I imagine, she willl top out at about 1000 lbs.  I need weight, but they are looking good right now.