Well, we got the PHA results today.....

Help Support Steer Planet:

Showcalves

Worst case senerio we should have had a 25% chance of each of them being carriers.  So out of 3 head we could've possibly had 1 right?  NOPE.  All three came back as carriers!  :(  We called our vet, the state university vet and basically were told Good Luck on the cow that's bred.  We haven't had a chance yet to work though what we're doing with the bulls.  Quite a frustrating day all in all.

Melinda

Show Heifer

Sorry about the bad news...seems like my bad luck fairy visited you too..... :'(

And to think some would say "you have a 50-50 chance, don't ya feel lucky?" :-\

What bloodlines are represented?

afhm

We sent in 4 for TH and got 3 THC.  Sent in 11 for PHA got 5 PHAC.  No double carriers had a couple that were potentials.  We have a couple new ones to test for both.  Bloodlines in the TH included Ladies Man, Hotmail and Direct Hit all Heat Seeker sons.  The one that came back negative  is from unknown pedigree on the dam side so she was tested for the sake of it.  The PHAC's trace to Paback, Draft Pick, Monsoon, Whiskey 4 My Men and Mossy Oak.  The PHAF's trace to Irish Whiskey, NFL, Godfather, Payback and some unkowns.

DL

Showcalves said:
Worst case senerio we should have had a 25% chance of each of them being carriers.  So out of 3 head we could've possibly had 1 right?  NOPE.  All three came back as carriers!  :(  We called our vet, the state university vet and basically were told Good Luck on the cow that's bred.  We haven't had a chance yet to work though what we're doing with the bulls.  Quite a frustrating day all in all.

Melinda
Sorry about your bad luck but I am not sure what you mean about 25% chance of them being a carrier pr what you mean re calling the vet? The chance of having a carrier is 50% with either a carrier to free mating or carrier to carrier mating - the risk of a PHA calf is 25% if 2 carriers are mated. Are you worried because the carriers were bred to carriers? I'm confused...