We're in the wrong business guys...

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

i figured there had to be more to the story

i don't know if this is true or not.

This is exciting stuff. Apple is a dairy cow, not a hamburger cow. She is a colored cow (not black and white). Her breed is Holstein. Holstein's produce the most milk. Colored cows (reds and orange), produce the most protein and milk fat.
The intent is to build a better Holstein. Apple is a red Holstein. She can produce milk as much as any Holstein, with the protien and milk-fat content of a Brown Swiss and Ayrshire combined.

i'm doubting the quote.

Diamond

I wounder who and where she was breed, kind of cool that CT got the honor.

farmboy

ive seen that cow before.... ill do some digging

EDIT : NVM it was somebody who showed me a picture of their champion milking shorthorn, look alike :p

TMJ Show Cattle

My boss was at this sale. It was a private "Elite" sale. He told me about this cow, but didnt tell me where she was bred or from.  He said alot of these guys were paying this money because they could flush them and sell embryos to Japan where there is a huge market.  Less freight than a live animal! Our embryo heifer brought $25,000 at 5 months old at this sale.

justintime

I remember visiting a Holstein herd in Ontario, several years ago and seeing a cow that had produced over 2 million in offspring and embryos and she was only 6 years old. I have heard since that this herd had several cows like this today. I will always remember attending the Holstein sale at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto over 30 years ago, and seeing 250 lb Holstein bull calves (that looked like any other pail fed dairy calf) sell for $250,000 to $300,000. Most went to Japanese buyers back then as well. Japan is a huge market for dairy genetics.